Sellers who buy from amazon and resell on eBay

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
How does this work? I bought a CPU from a seller on eBay. It shipped as a gift from Amazon. It was $33 cheaper than what amazon sells it for. shipping was free. :confused:

RobertFontaine

Dec 17, 2015
Winterpeg, Canuckistan
Buy Low sell High.... Somehow or other every time I consider this the shipping and handling costs eat up any profit and I end up with Buy High sell Low.

In my case I am just trying to outfit my dungeon so I just ignore the losses but people assume it is easy to make a profit reselling. In practice the real margins are thin and you have to understand your product/market (ignoring the occasional lucky or brilliant bastard who hits the jackpot)

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
If you listen to the podcast linked there it talks about sellers on ebay that drop ship from amazon.
Sorry but I think you don't understand my point. How can a seller buy something from Amazon and sell it for less than he paid for it. Don't see how this can be a scam of any kind. The CPU was factory sealed and shipped directly from Amazon. Nowhere on Amazon.com will you find this CPU anywhere near this price. Hope this clarifies it for you.

keybored

May 28, 2016
Sorry but I think you don't understand my point. How can a seller buy something from Amazon and sell it for less than he paid for it. Don't see how this can be a scam of any kind. The CPU was factory sealed and shipped directly from Amazon. Nowhere on Amazon.com will you find this CPU anywhere near this price. Hope this clarifies it for you.
Is the product you bought on eBay still available at the same price or is it gone now? Could just be a price mistake. Maybe the product was available on Amazon at that lower price earlier and that's when the eBay listing went up but then the Amazon price changed and the eBay listing bot failed to capture the change. The seller still shipped the item to you either because this is all automated and they just don't know about this price mistake or they decided to ship the product to avoid getting negative feedback.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
There is a form of CC fraud that could be in play here:
  • Seller lists an item that they do not have at an incredible price
  • Somebody (you) buys it and sends them real money
  • They buy the item somewhere else with a stolen CC and have it direct shipped to you (gift ship hides all the names and addresses used, of course!).
That way they don't leave breadcrumbs for the CC fraud investigators to follow. No bounty of merchandise bought with the stolen CC and shipped to an address that can be traced to the bad guys and they monetize their theft much faster (no need to fence what they bought because they already have your money). They are probably not even physically based in the USA.

In all likelyhood you'll see this seller's eBay account closed in a couple of days...

Very little chance of this coming back to you. Don't loose sleep. You might consider reporting your suspicions to eBay so that they can investigate.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
That is weird but who am I to judge? It was the best price I could find. I bought it in good faith, didn't even notice the seller was in Russia. All I saw was N.J.

Crap, now I feel like an accessory to theft. :(

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Listen to this Episode 724: Cat Scam

NPR went over what arbitrage is.
I didn't listen to the podcast but that article is a bunch of B.S and a terrible intro.

Arbitrage and middlemen / re-sellers are not 'scams' and any business that's upset about someone else selling their parts for them is silly to say the least.

If I had to pick a scam I'd go with the one @PigLover mentioned which we've also discussed here in another thread in a lot more detail some months back.

keybored

May 28, 2016
Arbitrage and middlemen / re-sellers are not 'scams' and any business that's upset about someone else selling their parts for them is silly to say the least. ...
Apparently they were losing to the tune of $10K/month, IIRC, because they, as Amazon sellers, get charged for every shipment, return, etc. And they were getting hit with a lot of return&shipping fees because people saw that their product arrived in an Amazon box and immediately went to check Amazon. Seeing that the product was $20 cheaper there, they returned the one they bought from eBay and re-bought from Amazon instead.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
@keybored that's a valid point! I had not thought about people going to amazon finding it $20 less and returning it!