Searching for small Ryzen system with 3x NVMe and ECC

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

blackbit

Jan 11, 2023
Hi!

First post here, asking for advise.
I have a desire for a small system with the following properties:
* 3x NVMe (why? I want to do ZFS RAID-Z)
* ECC memory (For peace of mind. Ryzen systems seem to be more likely to support ECC than intel-based systems, hence I am shooting for that)
* Ideally passively cooled, though I am ready to make compromises in that regard if necessary
* As small as possible

My research says that this combination of properties isn't out there much.
The only vendor I could identify who produces such a system is EEPD in Germany, though the ECC support seems to be not ready yet and they don't sell to individuals, only businesses. Also prices are quite steep.

If you know about a box that has the properties listed above, please share!

blackbit

Jan 11, 2023
M.2 would be preferrable, though I'll take a system with U.2 if you can name any that has the mentioned properties.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
This. Using the third m.2 would be a PITA, but it does technically meet the requirements you listed above. Not the ECC memory part, but everything else. Well, probably not ECC memory - the chip supports it so maybe there is some BIOS work you could do to enable it.

blackbit

Jan 11, 2023
I wouldn't mind having to use own of these flat-flex extensions and mount the third M.2 somewhere in the case myself, though with this connector there is no way to secure anything in it. PITA doesn't cut it in my opinion, it's not usable.
Also no ECC as you say.
So, the conclusion is that the system I'd like doesn't exist?

zac1

Oct 1, 2022
How about something like M11SDV (Epyc 3000) in an E300/E301 chassis? Needs some airflow but can fit 3x NVMe (albeit 1x 2280 onboard/2x on NVMe AOC) and up to 4x SATA 2.5".

blackbit

Jan 11, 2023
I see just one M.2 slot on the motherboard. Do you suggest to use a PCIe to NVMe adapter for the other two?

Reactions: zac1

zac1

Oct 1, 2022
Okay. the 40mm fans look noisy though.
The 13.5k rpm 40mm fans are noisy, indeed. I'm planning to experiment with some lower rpm fans (e.g. FAN-0100L4) or Noctua. I'm not sure the Noctuas will provide sufficient static pressure. On the other hand, the Epyc 3201 TDP is only 30W, so the Noctuas may be sufficient.

juma

Apr 14, 2021
Should be a pretty straightforward DIY build with a Streacom FC8 and an Asrock B550 ITX board.

blackbit

Jan 11, 2023
Those approaches aren't really what I had in mind.
Of course one can build something on basis of a random ITX mainboard and PCIe to NVMe adapters.
Most ITX mainboards need ATX power supplies, at least those suggested above. Those are large and need a fan themselves in virtually all cases.
A 90° PCIe riser card, PCIe to M.2 adapters and all of that need a lot of space.
When I was writing this in my original post:

> As small as possible

I meant... well, small.
There is no sense in denying, the system that I'd like to have, doesn't exist.
Anyways, thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Reactions: zac1

zac1

Oct 1, 2022
Most ITX mainboards need ATX power supplies, at least those suggested above. Those are large and need a fan themselves in virtually all cases.
A 90° PCIe riser card, PCIe to M.2 adapters and all of that need a lot of space.
Just one point of clarification, the M11SDV mITX boards support DC power, and the E300/E301 chassis uses an external power supply.

Look forward to an update when you find what you're looking for!