Scale IO - remove disks from ESX

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
So I am dabbling in Scale IO now and have some issues gotta say it's way less straight-forward than vSan...

Initial test setup took way longer than anticipated (aided by incomplete documentation and some errors on the EMC page preventing me from accessing any KB/documentation).

Anyhow, got my first testsetup going and now wanted to setup a proper comparison environment to compare against my vsan setup.
I teared down everything I could find in the ScaleIO GUI and want to rebuild using the correct devices.
Unfortunately, the drives in ESX seem to be still configured for ScaleIO but ScaleIO does not see them.

So how can I remove the scale IO mapping in ESX?
Or force Scale IO to reinit the drives in the wizard?
Or create a new SDS in the ScaelIO Gui (Add SDS won't work with communication error so I assume I have to create some first)...

Thanks

Attachments

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Alright kind of found it...
1. The Scale IO vms were still running thus using the local disks and all attempts to clean (mklabel etc) failed (disk in use)
-> stop & delete old vms resolved this
2. I didn't have 'reuse existing disks' selected under advanced config so it didn't show existing disks in the selection process

So can redeploy now and play around some more...

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Edit: If anyone is doing the same - its also necessary to remove the SDCs from ESX and then remove the vib as well:
esxcli software vib remove -n scaleio-sdc-esx6.0