SC825 noise levels?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

BryceRocky

Oct 16, 2017
Hi All,

I've decided to pivot my upcoming build from a single 4u to a drive shelf + main server. Since I use only SSDs in my main server for VMs, I think I may go the 2u route but am concerned about noise levels. This server will be running in the back of a tandem garage on the ground floor of a townhouse, so whisper quiet isn't required. However, I would like the server to not be heard outside the closed garage door or be overtly loud for when I passing through. Currently I'm looking at the SC825 - can anyone speak first hand on the noise levels of this chassis?

bitrot

Aug 7, 2017
Unless you're planning to run some very power hungry hardware, the 2U Supermicro chassis can be pretty quiet with the right choice of fans and PSU. But even with the stock fans, using PWM control of the motherboard should be sufficient to keep the noise in check for the scenario which you have in mind. Using an active CPU cooler helps a lot, too.

My main server is a (heavily modified) Supermicro 826 and it's sitting three feet away from me in my study. Not even a sound dampened rack, but very quiet. So it can be done. For your scenario, it's even more doable.