Samsung SM863a 1.9TB for 91$.

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

modder man

Jan 19, 2015
Considering the other listings by the seller are all clothing, I suspect that account has been stolen

Marsh

May 12, 2013
Hacked account? may be.

Seller have not sold computer equipment in the past 12 months. Largest transaction amount is around 25GBP

Aestr

Oct 22, 2014
Seattle
This is more than a bit fishy. The crazy low price on a new item, no history selling tech items and free international shipping are all red flags.

SPCRich

Mar 16, 2017
A 900$ drive on amazon for 91$ USD? ill take 10 . /s

Seller does not accept credit cards/paypal credit. Only paypal. Seems suppppppper suspect

kujinke

Jun 19, 2015
Maybe its a hacked account, and if it, this hacker must be the dumbest in the universe, ebay has a safety mechanism against hacked accounts, they will not transfer the money to the seller's Paypal account for at least 30 days, so anyway he will be caught Before that period of time. So either he's a complete idiot, or we're lucky: D

arglebargle

H̸̖̅ȩ̸̐l̷̦͋l̴̰̈ỏ̶̱ ̸̢͋W̵͖̌ò̴͚r̴͇̀l̵̼͗d̷͕̈
Jul 15, 2018
I'd be wary of these. It's obvious that a hacked account won't actually receive paypal funds, but they will receive your paypal email address and your shipping data. I'd punch your paypal email address into Have I Been Pwned: Check if your email has been compromised in a data breach and make sure you aren't using any of those passwords on any current accounts. Harvesting paypal email addresses to try password lists on is about the only thing I expect scam sales are doing.

Reactions: omgwtfbyobbq

Aestr

Oct 22, 2014
Seattle
So either he's a complete idiot, or we're lucky: D
Or as @arglebargle pointed out they have reasons to want a transaction with you other than collecting funds. With the number of these obviously fraudulent listings we see it's naive to assume that these scammers are idiots that are getting nothing of value and just repeatedly wasting their time.

arglebargle

H̸̖̅ȩ̸̐l̷̦͋l̴̰̈ỏ̶̱ ̸̢͋W̵͖̌ò̴͚r̴͇̀l̵̼͗d̷͕̈
Jul 15, 2018
Well trust me I know how it works;
1. You should always make sure to use long random passwords to your pp/ebay/email account and there will be a zero chance a harm can be done... he can do nothing with your email address/name.
2. Nobody uses the brute force method nowadays on PayPal and it won’t work anyway.. PayPal limits the number of login attempts from the same ip address.
3. The only method you should be afraid of is probably phishing which is not the case here.

They are definitely wasting their time, unless he is one badass hacker, a real hacker will not try to break into the database of pp or ebay, for the simple reason that they are super secure(Most known online payment systems such as pp spends billion of dollars each year in security, to make sure your money is safe).
And even if by some miracle they managed to get their hands on your money, you still have the credit card company insurance...
The most likely scenario that I see here is that these hacked or brand new ebay accounts with "too good to be true" listings are being used for data collection.

You probably don't need to worry about being hacked as a direct result of attempting to buy any of these listings, but you probably should be aware that Someone(tm) nefarious is out there hoovering up info on paypal customers to use later.

What's probably happening is that this information is being collected to cross reference against password lists from cracked sites or breached data from somewhere like Equifax. For example, your paypal email address is probably the same one that you use with your bank and your credit card companies.

Thanks to eBay these people also have your mailing address, and possibly your phone number. That data combined with breached data from someone like Equifax would make it pretty easy for someone to open new accounts in your name too.

Anyway, this is all speculation -- but I'd be extremely wary of making life easier for nefarious data collectors.

tl;dr: I doubt this is about someone trying to brute force your paypal account, whatever it is it's probably scummier.

Reactions: SPCRich

SPCRich

Mar 16, 2017
tl;dr: I doubt this is about someone trying to brute force your paypal account, whatever it is it's probably scummier.
On a related note... why the hell can't paypal take >20 character passwords in 2018.. Hell my banks all take the 100 character passwords last pass gives, but paypal can only take 20? someone needs to update the field length in their database to VARCHAR(100) . SMH

muhfugen

Dec 5, 2016
On a related note... why the hell can't paypal take >20 character passwords in 2018.. Hell my banks all take the 100 character passwords last pass gives, but paypal can only take 20? someone needs to update the field length in their database to VARCHAR(100) . SMH
Because they would be retarded to store passwords unencrypted in a VARCHAR column. They would be storing it in a fixed width BINARY column as they'll be hashed. Also even with a 512 bit hash, 100 characters is kind of redundant as 512 bit key = 64 bytes (Inb4 unicode).

SPCRich

Mar 16, 2017
Because they would be retarded to store passwords unencrypted in a VARCHAR column. They would be storing it in a fixed width BINARY column as they'll be hashed. Also even with a 512 bit hash, 100 characters is kind of redundant as 512 bit key = 64 bytes (Inb4 unicode).
Calm down there I was making a point that they should allow >20 character passwords.

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Good to know about these type of things. I just saw one myself.

Where there's a willing thief, there's an electronic way. :rolleyes: