Samsung 950 Pro M.2 NVMe Performance

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Well - I thoroughly failed. I was helping a friend fix is tech site this evening. Will get to this tomorrow.

Should be lots to read on the STH main site tomorrow.

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011
Sorry- the 950 pro has been sold as v-nand, so if you are right that is cause for a class action
the sm951 is oem only, or ebay action... and is 840pro style mlc, not 3dnand...
950pro is nvme 3dvnand.

rubylaser

Jan 4, 2013
Michigan, USA
Yes you did help. Mine is the 256 GB versions, they are to be used as journal / cache drives on a SSD san build
That sounds like an awesome build. I hope you will post pictures and details when it's done. It appears that the smaller 256GB version isn't quite as fast as the 512GB versions, so I would imagine that's where the difference comes from more than the PCIe adapter. Your numbers like almost exactly like Ars Technica's results for the 256GB version.

950 Pro review: Samsung’s first PCIe M.2 NVMe SSD is an absolute monster

Last edited:

Naeblis

Oct 22, 2015
Folsom, CA
That sounds like an awesome build. I hope you will post pictures and details when it's done. It appears that the smaller 256GB version isn't quite as fast as the 512GB versions, so I would imagine that's where the difference comes from more than the PCIe adapter. Your numbers like almost exactly like Ars Technica's results for the 256GB version.

950 Pro review: Samsung’s first PCIe M.2 NVMe SSD is an absolute monster

well that is good to know. here are some details on the a bigger build and my quest for 6 Million IOPS in a 2u server

https://forums.servethehome.com/ind...e-passed-2-intel-nvme-cages-in-1-server.7425/

JSchuricht

Apr 4, 2011
I'm on the tablet right now due to an upgrade not going so well. Anyways, before I blame another issue on the mainboard, are any of you able to UEFI boot with a 950 pro with Windows?

Doing an upgrade from a Z77 board to Z170 with a Supermicro C7Z170-SQ which I am less than impressed with so far.

Keljian

Sep 9, 2015
Melbourne Australia
Why on earth did you go a supermicro C7z170-SQ? - Supermicro make server/workstation boards, not overclocking desktop boards.

(I would have gone an Asrock, I'm just partial to them)

JSchuricht

Apr 4, 2011
It was a spur of the moment upgrade with no planning. Basically I went to Newegg, selected socket 1151, looked at the manufacturers and went ooh, Supermicro...add to cart. The last time I used Supermicro for a workstation build was a socket 603 P4 based Xeon with Rambus build. I don't have any plans to overclock this one, it's just a workstation with a couple of 290x video cards and a 10Gb NIC. All the heavy stuff is done on the servers.

Anyways, I finally got UEFI boot working. Just need to solve a few other issues with the physical placement of some components.

Reactions: Keljian and T_Minus