Same HDD, bad sectors but only in specific server

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Cutha

Sep 24, 2016
Canada
I have 2 (new to me) 2U Supermicro servers and 12 Ultrastar HE10 10TB SATA drives. Before I put any data on used drives I always test them with HD Sentinel using the surface test Write + read destructive.

Server 1, 6 HDD's completed the write tests with good speeds and no issues but on the read test all 6 drives had tons of bad clusters showing up.

Server 2, the other 6 HDD's completed write and read tests with good speeds and no bad sectors.

I swapped one drive from each server:
  1. I swapped a perfect drive from server 2 into server 1 and it is now showing up with bad clusters.
  2. I swapped a bad drive from server 1 into server 2 and it is not showing the same issues.
    1. see pictures below

I'm at a loss and could really use some help sorting this out.

7JHZUMLC server 1.JPG
7JHZUMLC server 2.JPG

mr44er

Feb 22, 2020
A too hot running HBA/SATA-Controller can also cause this and many re-reads/re-writes.

But the disk itself looks ok, check SMART to be sure. Note: re-reads and re-writes from earlier/other server will stay in the log.

Reactions: Cutha

Cutha

Sep 24, 2016
Canada
Thanks for the replies.

It turned out to be the SAS3 HBA. I swapped it out and those errors seem to be fixed. I'm running some more tests to be sure but it looks good so far. Thanks again.