S8030GM4NE-2T or ROMED8-2T with EPYC7262?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

hmw

Apr 29, 2019
Incidentally, I stress tested the CPU (sudo stressng --matrix 0 -t 10m) to see how good the cooling was with the SNK-P0064AP4 heatsink. Turns out it's epic
The heatsink is rated for 280W CPUs, the 155W 7262 isn't going to stress it much :)

Nov 19, 2020
@hmw well that gives me an enticing upgrade path then! Looking forward to seeing how powerful and energy efficient Milan is...

Update: I added a second, new HBA (i.e PCIe expansion card) - another LSI SAS2008 - and now my system won't boot. I've removed both the HBA and Tuner card that were working, and I can boot with the new HBA installed, but none of the drives attached to it show up in Ubuntu Server (using command 'lsblk' I see only the two SSDs in RAID1 that I'm using to boot from).

I'm going to look at those BIOS settings you recommended @hmw ...

Nov 19, 2020
The heatsink is rated for 280W CPUs, the 155W 7262 isn't going to stress it much :)
... oh, and it's quiet too. I used four of Noctua's rubber fan mounting screw replacements that I had lying around (not fan screws themselves - difficult to describe them), and remounted the cooler fan using them. I'd guess the whole system must be making less than 30dB of noise. I have to be within a meter of it to hear it.

Reactions: nnunn
Nov 19, 2020
Update: I added a second, new HBA (i.e PCIe expansion card) - another LSI SAS2008 - and now my system won't boot. I've removed both the HBA and Tuner card that were working, and I can boot with the new HBA installed, but none of the drives attached to it show up in Ubuntu Server (using command 'lsblk' I see only the two SSDs in RAID1 that I'm using to boot from).

I'm going to look at those BIOS settings you recommended @hmw ...
Changing all of the BIOS settings had no effect. Then I noticed that one of the HBAs 'heartbeat' green led wasn't flashing, and so I tried moving the it to the next slot and now it works. That means that the PCIe cards are OK, but one of the slots on my motherboard is not functioning correctly... :( Time to return it for repair/replacement.

Incidentally, IO-SRV is under 'Advanced'>'PCI Subsystem Settings' on BIOS v 1.3

Nov 19, 2020
Update: Having got the HBAs working, I added the TV tuner card (WinTV QuadHD), and now the system won't POST. Looking at the IPMI error log, there's a message 'Unrecoverable video controller failure'. The Dr. Debug readout finally stops on 0E, which means '0E - Microcode not found', according to Level 1 Techs

Any ideas what this is / how to resolve it?

Also, figured out why the HBA wasn't working in the PCIe slot - I was using PCIe slot 2, which I've disabled, so that I can use those PCIe lanes for the onboard SAS connectors and M.2 slots!... I was counting / numbering the PCIe slots the wrong way (from the top down, not the bottom up)... If ever there was a case of RTFM!

Last edited:

hmw

Apr 29, 2019
In BIOS - Chipset Configuration- there’s onboard / ext VGA select. If you set it to onboard instead of Auto - what happens?

Nov 19, 2020
I have been running LInux Mint smoothly on S8030GM4NE-2T + EPYC 7702P + nVidia Titan RTX + LRDIMM 2933Mhz 128GB x1 + NVME M.2 1TB for months. One M.2 slot is converted to PCIe to host a USB card, which is further connected to the front panel of the case for USB type-c x 2 and one 3.5mm audio jack. I have this setup because I want to reserve all MB PCIe for GPUs, and would like to have keyboard/mouse connected from the front. By the way, sound is import, but a server MB surely does not care about that. I need to create a sound jack myself. So far only two minor issues have ever occurred to me:

1. 10Gbe connection to my QNAP sometimes was lost after reboot. I had to manually unplug and replug to reestablish the connection. Not sure if it's Tyan's fault or QNAP's fault.

2. Some parameters in IPMI cannot be configured. For example, the temperature thresholds for some sensors. This is my first-time use of IPMI, so not sure if I've missed anything. Nonetheless other functions of IPMI have been working very well. For example, remote control and power switch are big plus not seen on regular consumer MBs.

I don't use SATA, so cannot share anything about that; by the way, my LRDIMM was from taobao. Hope these info would be useful to you.
@pdaliu I was wondering how you got the GPU working?

Seeing as GPUs are so extortionately expensive right now; I've bought a (second hand) KFA2 GTX 1050Ti OC to tide me over. I've installed it (avoiding slot 2!), installed a linux distribution (tried ubuntu and Pop! OS so far) and installed the nVidia drivers for linux; but I can't get a video signal from the GPU's DVI port (I haven't tried the other two ports on this card, because I don't have the right cables). If I connect a monitor to the integrated VGA, then I can see the desktop.

I tried going into the BIOS and disabling the onboard graphics (under 'Chipset configuration' > 'Advanced'), but still nothing is displayed on the monitor.

I know the DVI port on the monitor is working (having connected a different computer)
I'm confident the DVI <-> DVI cable is probably OK (it's a new cable, and there's little that could go wrong with it?)
It could be the 1050Ti GPU - but that does show up when I run 'lspci' from the command line

Any help would be appreciated.

Nov 19, 2020

Seeing as GPUs are so extortionately expensive right now; I've bought a (second hand) KFA2 GTX 1050Ti OC to tide me over. I've installed it (avoiding slot 2!), installed a linux distribution (tried ubuntu and Pop! OS so far) and installed the nVidia drivers for linux; but I can't get a video signal from the GPU's DVI port (I haven't tried the other two ports on this card, because I don't have the right cables). If I connect a monitor to the integrated VGA, then I can see the desktop.

I tried going into the BIOS and disabling the onboard graphics (under 'Chipset configuration' > 'Advanced'), but still nothing is displayed on the monitor.

I know the DVI port on the monitor is working (having connected a different computer)
I'm confident the DVI <-> DVI cable is probably OK (it's a new cable, and there's little that could go wrong with it?)
It could be the 1050Ti GPU - but that does show up when I run 'lspci' from the command line

UPDATE: I removed all expansion cards except for the 1050Ti and was able to get a video signal from the 1050Ti's display port. I'm now adding the cards back in one-by-one.

Nov 19, 2020
UPDATE: I removed all expansion cards except for the 1050Ti and was able to get a video signal from the 1050Ti's display port. I'm now adding the cards back in one-by-one.
UPDATE: It's the TV tuner card that's causing the problem. I'm going to try setting the 'OnBrd/Ext VGA Select' setting to 'internal'.

pdaliu

Nov 19, 2020

I offload Nvidia output via the integrated GPU. I know Vulkan is working, but not sure if this solution fits your needs. Most of the time Nvidia GPU is solely for computation.