S2600cp2 - server booted up a couple times now doesn't. No errors that i can see.

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

oneplane

Jul 23, 2021
To save yourself from future trouble, you might want to do future windows installations not on bare metal but in a hypervisor instead. Even a single-system install benefits from this, and even just Proxmox and 1 windows VM is enough to prevent and out-of-band-repair any windows issue microsoft might invent.

glasses4life

Dec 3, 2022
I still have way too much to learn and figure out. I'm going to try to setup pfsense on a VM to go straight from my modem in bridge to the server.

glasses4life

Dec 3, 2022
And where back! So its boots up sometimes but im getting 5 beeps and a bunch of error lights, tried to look them up but the combo doesn't seem to make sense...

God we were so close... Can anyone tell me what these mean? 1670641137262.png

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
can you get other memory ? looks to me one or more DIMMs encountered too much ECC errors and reached the treshold to disableing them.
is all working after cmos reset ? have you manualy set the memory frq. too high ?

glasses4life

Dec 3, 2022
Would going back to Windows 2012 really have a negative effect? Besides the security patches which I don't care for to much.
I also don't understand what my os is would stop me from booting.

I also do not have other memory, I can try removing sticks and seeing how long it would and kinda guessing at which one is bad or if they all are.

I haven't changed the memory speed at all off of default.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
also do not have other memory, I can try removing sticks and seeing how long it would and kinda guessing at which one is bad or if they all are.
download memtest86 (free)to test your memory, but you have to run it in UEFI mode to enabe ECC polling.
something about mem. issues in the logs ?

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
Would going back to Windows 2012 really have a negative effect?
sorry don't know. what o found:

the problems started when i switched from server 2012R2 to server 2016.
I never had this problem with server 2012.
it only started when i ironed server 2016 onto the box.
Green from bottom to top: 1 1 0 1
orange from bottom to top: 1 0 1 1

some report ESXI has no issues.

glasses4life

Dec 3, 2022
Ok well i currently cant boot and cant get to bios. It just loads some test and the board name and other info and stays there. Get beeps and nothing happens.

Pulled memory and added them 1 stick only at a time and tried each one all the same. :(

i only have the 1 server so no way to test the memory unless it boots

oneplane

Jul 23, 2021
Might be a bad socket/board. A little bit of temperature difference can be enough to make/break it.

glasses4life

Dec 3, 2022
So did some digging and it might be an issue with hyper V, with the new windows install on old hardware. Not sure but im going to try to install windows server 2012, and honestly not turn on hyper v, its not something im going to use right away.

glasses4life

Dec 3, 2022
So far iv got it working again. It's booting into 2012, Im not a fan of the old windows but it'll still work for me.

I cleared CMOS, formatted drives to 2012. Did all the updates and it seems to be working. I left hyper v off just in case. I'll test it out later to see if it breaks anything.

Reactions: RolloZ170