Run an Desktop OS (legal) as an Server for some Software?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Your name or

Feb 18, 2020
Hi
I have Software who receive Data via Network and send them in other Format, Compiled,... to other Software, System, Client,... that Software run only on Windows (yes there are other Software who run on Linux to that I can run on Linux...) who connect to the Internet and will be open and reachable from the Net.
So I dont want use Win7 as before. The good thing with Win7 was there was an unlimited Time who I could test without any hacks or what ever. I just confirm the Trial Message and thats it. I did not need any backround or what ever.
So... are there some way to "test" legally (!!!) without hacks (!!!) an Win? I download the Embedded Win who have an Trial Period of 90 Days. I dont know what happen after. I will create 10 or so Virtual Machines only for that Software.
Thanks!

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
If you want to run Windows for an extended period of time in a legal manner, you are going to need to purchase licenses (10 in your case). There's no way around that.

Your name or

Feb 18, 2020
Win7 could be "tested" indefinitely without any Hacks or Cracks.
Does any new Version allow me to do so to?

SnJ9MX

Jul 18, 2019
Win7 could be "tested" indefinitely without any Hacks or Cracks.
Does any new Version allow me to do so to?
Win7 also doesn't get security updates. So it "allows" you to be hacked in a number of different ways that aren't possible with newer versions of Windows.

Just buy the license, it's like $100. Or rewrite the code to run on linux.

SnJ9MX

Jul 18, 2019
Well first of all the Windows non-server license agreement specifically prohibits use as "server software". It would help if you could read the actual license agreements you're arguing about. You will find that Microsoft's attorneys have written their licenses to be very complete.

Here's the Windows 10 license agreement (New Page)

2. Installation and Use Rights.
c.
Restrictions. The device manufacturer or installer and Microsoft reserve all rights (such as rights under intellectual property laws) not expressly granted in this agreement. For example, this license does not give you any right to, and you may not:
(v) use the software as server software, for commercial hosting, make the software available for simultaneous use by multiple users over a network, install the software on a server and allow users to access it remotely, or install the software on a device for use only by remote users;

To answer your question directly: because the Windows license agreement prohibits it:
5. Authorized Software and Activation. You are authorized to use this software only if you are properly licensed and the software has been properly activated with a genuine product key or by other authorized method.

And the Windows 7 Professional license agreement (https://download.microsoft.com/Documents/UseTerms/Windows_7 Professional_English_9bd24b38-f65d-48f8-8014-1fe3a0c8dd00.pdf)

4. MANDATORY ACTIVATION.
Activation associates the use of the software with a specific computer. During activatio n, the software
will send information about the software and the computer to Microsoft. This information includes the
version, language and product key of the software, the Internet protocol address of the computer, and
informatio n derived from the hardware configuration of the comp uter. For more information, see
go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?Linkid=104609. By using the software, you consent to the transmission of
this information. If properly licensed, you have the right to use the version of the software installed
during the installa tion process up to the time permitted for activatio n. Unless the software is
activated, you have no right to use the software after the time permitted for activation. This is to
prevent its unlicensed use. You are not permitted to bypass or circumvent activation.

Your name or

Feb 18, 2020
Hmm I try to activate with an old Win7 Pro Key but sadly the say its not possible. I also Own and use Device who still run on Win7 as an "Downgrade" Version.
Are there currently some Server error?
Thanks

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany