Ruckus R650 vs TP-Link EAP660 HD?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

TonyArrr

Sep 22, 2021
Straylia
They talk about the coverage as like a deflated beach ball sitting on the AP. So hardly any signal from the bottom of the AP but plenty of horizontal reach and a fair bit of vertical reach. So if it's mounted to your ceiling then you'll get plenty of signal in all the rooms around you, but it won't waste power trying to send signal skyward or deep into the ground below your house.

So if you want to be lazy and just sit it somewhere then you want it to be lowish down sitting on the rubber feet. Or way up high with the top facing down and the feet in the air.
Ah that is really good to know, and love mental image it gives.

Sorry for semihijacking the thread and thanks heaps for the advice!

creidhne

Apr 11, 2020
See if there are any Aruba 48V power adapters available locally - I just picked up an R3X86A adapter (for the Instant On AP11D & AP17) from a local retailer for ~€12 and the barrel is the right size.
None available unfortunately. Not a problem to me though, thanks for the tip tho!

They talk about the coverage as like a deflated beach ball sitting on the AP. So hardly any signal from the bottom of the AP but plenty of horizontal reach and a fair bit of vertical reach. So if it's mounted to your ceiling then you'll get plenty of signal in all the rooms around you, but it won't waste power trying to send signal skyward or deep into the ground below your house.

So if you want to be lazy and just sit it somewhere then you want it to be lowish down sitting on the rubber feet. Or way up high with the top facing down and the feet in the air.
You mentioned R730 has some better vertical coverage as well, and that I can expect it to reach one floor down. How about two floors (into the basement)?

Last edited:

ms264556

Sep 13, 2021
New Zealand
ms264556.net
You mentioned R730 has some better vertical coverage as well, and that I can expect it to reach one floor down. How about two floors (into the basement)?
Depends on the house construction. My house is maybe best-case - a 100 year old wooden house with new drywall internal walls & ceilings and wooden floors. The R730 goes through fibreglass insulation then a ceiling then a floor + ceiling to my downstairs lounge where my phone's signal is -55dBm & 1080Mbps. So if your house is similarly flimsy then you might get very good results in the basement.

creidhne

Apr 11, 2020
Depends on the house construction. My house is maybe best-case - a 100 year old wooden house with new drywall internal walls & ceilings and wooden floors. The R730 goes through fibreglass insulation then a ceiling then a floor + ceiling to my downstairs lounge where my phone's signal is -55dBm & 1080Mbps. So if your house is similarly flimsy then you might get very good results in the basement.
30cm concrete and full brick walls here haha :D well, will see how it goes. I'll be prepared to set up 3rd point downstairs if things turn out bad enough.

creidhne

Apr 11, 2020
Okay, so to anyone wondering... they weren't joking about Ruckus access points being awesome. That R730 that ms264556 suggested works great. I installed it where I currently live (since there's a few months left before I will move), and compared to TP-Link EAP245v3 I was using before... in the problematic room now I get double the speeds and wifi stopped cutting out randomly. I expect that things will get even better once I move to uncongested environment in standalone house and add 1 or 2 more APs to the mix =) Thanks again everyone for the help with this!