RAID controller recommendation HP Z820

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Rhinox

May 27, 2013
I do not say it is a bad choice, but IMHO LSI2208-based controller (i.e. 9266/9270) might be better. It has dual-core cpu and bigger/faster chache (1GB/ddr3 vs 512MB/ddr2). With 2x raid5 you might make use of it...

dba

Feb 20, 2012
San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA
Since it's an HP workstation, you very well may be able to use the HP P420/1GB FBWC RAID card. It's a very fast current-generation PCIe3 card with a large flash-backed cache. They are surprisingly inexpensive compared to their $700 LSI-branded equivalents - mrkrad once found them for something around $250 from the nerds.net, but they seem to be more like $375 now. At that price they would be the deal of the century for all RAID needs, except that I was unable to get them to work on any non-HP server. Give HP a call to confirm that they work with your workstation and, if they do, grab one and celebrate.

Check out: http://compu-america.com/hp-smart-a...troller.html?gclid=CI2D1PKN_LsCFYw1QgodJn0AwA

Last edited:

Chuckleb

Mar 5, 2013
Minnesota
You can definitely create two volumes on the 9260 and it will run fine. If you throw a battery on it then you can enable the write cache which will give you a slight speed boost, though honestly with 4x480 SSD drives you won't be missing much.

I have a bunch of users who do GIS work as well and they have large data volumes, we generally throw a single SSD and they are pretty content, do you notice much difference with the raid5 of SSDs? We tried many configurations and our users could barely tell after a pair of ssd drives on a raid 0.

Last option is raid 5 of the hard drives and trying cachecade on the LSI card, in which you use the ssd as cache.

Realistically, not sure you saturate the 9260 with 4 SSDs so go for it if you can get it cheap.