Rack to Tower conversion?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

strh

Mar 2, 2015
Hi folks,

I have two (well more, but let's start with two) SC826 Chassis. I'm wondering if anyone knows of a product that would allow me to stack two vertically, back to back to effectively create a 4U tower?

Floor space is precious, vertical space less so.

Cheers
Simon

K D

Dec 24, 2016
Pardon me but I cant understand the requirement. Cant' you just keep them on one side next to each other. Maybe stick a few case feet to the side that is on the bottom.

vl1969

Feb 5, 2014
not sure why?
if you only have 2 cases than it "kind off" make sense as 2x2U cases are more high than width space wise. but once you go to 5 and up standing them on the side gain you nothing.
a standard 2U specs are 3.5Hx17.2Wx28.5D

17.2/3.5= 4.9142857 so about 5 cases standing on the side break even.

however since this cases are not designed to work on the side I would be very careful with what I can run on them. and all the extra things you need to stack them on the side might negate the cause at all.
if you use them to the max keep them horizontal as they are designed to be used like that.

Reactions: T_Minus

TLN

Feb 26, 2016
I have a TS700 server from ASUS, and I was pleasantly surprised that there're mounts for rails under covers on top and bottom.
With that I can put it horizontally, and mount in the rack. Think it's quite cool!

vl1969

Feb 5, 2014
I have a TS700 server from ASUS, and I was pleasantly surprised that there're mounts for rails under covers on top and bottom.
With that I can put it horizontally, and mount in the rack. Think it's quite cool!
yes, some servers are designed to be transformers, ie. used as a tower or rack mount.
but this are designed this way. the internal arrangement of components and ventilation/cooling systems are designed to do the job in any position. however servers that are not intended to be used like that are different.
SM case in OP is a rackmount from the start. it has no provisions to be used in any other config. so the cooling systems(which is the most important in this situation) might not be as efficient when it is on it's side hence if the OP push the server to the max while it is on it's side, it can kill some of the components do to overheating.
I do not anticipate problems with most other components of the server reacting to unusual positioning as PSU and drives would not care much how they are mounted. but overall cooling performance may suffer greatly.

TLN

Feb 26, 2016
yes, some servers are designed to be transformers, ie. used as a tower or rack mount.
but this are designed this way. the internal arrangement of components and ventilation/cooling systems are designed to do the job in any position. however servers that are not intended to be used like that are different.
SM case in OP is a rackmount from the start. it has no provisions to be used in any other config. so the cooling systems(which is the most important in this situation) might not be as efficient when it is on it's side hence if the OP push the server to the max while it is on it's side, it can kill some of the components do to overheating.
I do not anticipate problems with most other components of the server reacting to unusual positioning as PSU and drives would not care much how they are mounted. but overall cooling performance may suffer greatly.
I cannot imagine any difference in cooling because of horizontal position or tower. Air goes front to back in both cases. Unless we have side vents(on tower) or top intake(in tower mode again). but you will usually see that in gaming cases. All rack mount cases are designed for front-back airflow, and I cannot imagine how vertical position can affect cooling performance. Only if you won't screw down radiators on CPU, and they will fall off in vertical position :)

I also don't believe in problems with PSU or drives, because of position. There're servers that have drives vertical, drives horizontal and it works fine.

vl1969

Feb 5, 2014
I cannot imagine any difference in cooling because of horizontal position or tower. Air goes front to back in both cases. Unless we have side vents(on tower) or top intake(in tower mode again). but you will usually see that in gaming cases. All rack mount cases are designed for front-back airflow, and I cannot imagine how vertical position can affect cooling performance. Only if you won't screw down radiators on CPU, and they will fall off in vertical position :)

I also don't believe in problems with PSU or drives, because of position. There're servers that have drives vertical, drives horizontal and it works fine.
if you read my post carefully you will see that I specifically point out that I "DO NOT" expect problems with PSU or Drives as this parts do not care about how they are positioned.
however Cooling systems do.

here is why:

#1 many rack mount cases include special air shroud that directs the air flow across components. also most cases are designed with predictive air flow based on air and fluid dynamics laws.

it is simply expected that hot air will flow to the top where coll will stay on the bottom.
so case layout, and components positioning is done based on what is expected air flow behaviour is.
most rack mount systems do not expect air movement side to side but as you point out they do expect it front to back.
now, if a case is designed with say CPU to be more left positioned in respect to the case view from front because most of the drive cages are on the right and thus most of the hot air flows to the right.

if you put this case sideway on it's the right side than the hot air from the drives will rise up to where the CPU is positioned. let say you also have PSU on the right side of the case, than hot air from the PSU will rise up as well. so now you have an excess of hot air around CPU that is not handled properly since it is unexpected to be there. your CPU will overheat and kink out. maybe not right a way but eventually it will die from overheating. or you will get bombarded with overheating alarms. same with RAM

not saying you can not use the case differently but you have to be prepared for the consequences. at least plan on tackle them in time.

if you do decide to use the server in an unconventional way (in a way it was not designed to be used)
than you need to knew and maybe figure out what needs to be done to prevent issues.
like, putting an extra fans or more powerful fans in stead of stock.
maybe moving to liquid cooling for CPU and RAM if possible. encasing the server in a closed rack with extra cooling so the ambiance temp is low enough to counteract the improper positioning.
staf like that.

fmatthew5876

Mar 20, 2017
Rackmount cases are not designed stand up on their side and may tip over easily. I used to have a Norco RPC4220 which I had sitting on its side for several years.

I never had any problems with cooling or anything else like that. I had to put the case up on bricks because you can't remove the rackmount ears. I also had to make sure it was supported by my desk table leg on one side and my desktop tower pc on the other, lest it fall over.

Think of it like books on a bookshelf. Make sure you get some support on the sides.