Quick Tip: LSI SAS3108 BIOS Utility and F2 using Supermicro IPMI/ KVM-over-IP

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
This morning I have been working with an awesome server. It has the Supermicro X10DRU-i+ in it. The server came pre-configured with 5x 300GB 12.0gbps SAS Seagate spindle drives and 3x Intel S3500 120GB drives. I also added the Intel 400GB NVMe 2.5" drive to the mix.

The Intel S3500's were set in RAID 0 and I wanted to use one for a boot drive.

The new LSI RAID configuration BIOS utility (control + r to get into) was launched. I am not a fan of what LSI has done on the LSI SAS3108.

To make changes to drives one has to hit F2. Why one cannot simply hit enter is beyond me.
Supermicro LSI SAS3108 Raid Config F12 Exit.JPG
F2 happens to be the same keystroke that exits Supermicro and a few other vendor's iKVM solutions.

The workaround is simple, but annoying. Use the virtual keyboard.
Supermicro LSI SAS3108 Raid Config F12.JPG
That allows one to pass F2 through to the LSI SAS3108 BIOS but not exit the iKVM session.

I figured I would pass this along as there are likely going to be folks on here that will run into the same issue in the future.

For the record - I have been using LSI controllers for years, but for some reason this version's ROMB config is just the worst UX I have used in many years.

Last edited: