Quick Request for help

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Can anyone get to the main site: http://www.servethehome.com ?

Just changed over to a new main hypervisor server Had to completely manually re-install/ configure everything (what a PITA!)

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Thank you! Not sure if you ever had a painful server/ application transition. Today was one.

Forums are next and hopefully will fix a lot of these nagging errors.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Well still some room to go but even with cold cache:

STH Main Site - KVM.JPG

Could be worse for 15 min after cut over.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Good perceived response times where I am sitting..
It now has its own set of 400GB RAID 1 SAS SSDs so some of the latency from the old SSDs should be gone. The forums are going to get their own set. And yes, there is a 400GB hot spare sitting there too.

TuxDude

Sep 17, 2011
Thank you! Not sure if you ever had a painful server/ application transition. Today was one.
If it didn't go over the scheduled outage window by at least a few days and require vendor field-support on site with a selection of spare/replacement parts then it can't have been all that bad. A few months ago I did a firmware update on a FC storage array followed by a physical move to a new datacenter. Firmware went well, let it run for close to an hour to ensure everything was finished and stable. Then shutdown, disassemble, many cart-loads to the new DC (same campus different building), re-assemble, double-check assembly is correct, and power-on and nothing... To make a long story short we suffered a simultaneous dual controller failure in the array, and HP only had a single spare part in the city. HP wanted to blame the failure on me moving the array and wanted to charge us for the parts + labor to fix it - in the end it turned out to be the firmware update that brought the root-cause to light. The new firmware had additional memory checking during controller POST, and we had been running with bad RAM for who knows how long - after the update it worked as that was a warm-boot and it skipped diagnostics but wouldn't boot from cold anymore.

Reactions: T_Minus and Patrick

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
OK you win. The last one for me was a tiny php5-fpm and nginx config issue. Very frustrating nonetheless.

ZFS pool created for the forums server. More space and dedicated I/O time.

Reactions: T_Minus

tjk

Mar 3, 2013
Did you change over to docker on bare-metal or what was the change Patrick?

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Did you change over to docker on bare-metal or what was the change Patrick?
Moving from Hyper-V to KVM + Docker nodes. This is just moving the main VMs to KVM, next will be adding Docker.