Question about SuperMicro X10SDV boards (embedded / IOT)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

stupidcr0w

Mar 1, 2021
Hi all!

I'm in the market for a mini-ITX motherboard for a file server that I'm building. Essential requirements are:
  • Compatibility with Ubuntu Server 20.04 (doesn't have to be Ubuntu certified)
  • PCI-E 3.0 x16 slot - I intend to eventually run a tape drive (for periodic backups) with an ATTO H1244 card, which needs a minimum of 8 lanes
  • Active cooling
  • Minimum of 6 SATA ports (ZFS array)
  • ECC RAM support
I read Patrick's review of the X10SDV-6C+-TLN4F and it seems like a solid option. Does anyone have any recent experience with this board?

Also, how finicky are SuperMicro boards with ECC + registered DIMMs modules? I've got 2x 32GB DDR2400 288-pin ECC RDIMMs (MEM-DR432L-SL02-ER24). Given their specifications, I assume that they should work properly with the X10SDV-6C+-TLN4F.

Lastly, this board was released 5 years ago -- its capabilities are definitely still relevant, but has anything better (in the same embedded / IOT motherboard space) popped up since then? I checked SuperMicro's Gen12 and Gen11 boards, but nothing appears to have filled the X10SDV's niche.

Thank you :)

RTM

Jan 26, 2014
Unless you are looking to buy used (there should be some great deals out there if you are persistent enough), I would find a newer device.

Supermicro does have boards like the X11SDV-8C+-TLN2F that sort of does the same as X10SDV, but of course that generation has a higher TDP on the SoC.

You may want to consider how important active cooling out of the box is, if you can accept a solution where you put a 60/80mm fan on the heatsink, there would be more motherboard options, like Asrock's Epyc 3251 boards (unfortunately Supermicros Epyc 3251 itx boards only have 4 sata ports).

stupidcr0w

Mar 1, 2021
@RTM I scanned the current offerings and noticed the same thing. The X10SDV-6C+-TLN4F sits at a comfortable 35W TDP and has all of the necessary ports. I'm currently running an A2SDi-8C+-HLN4F which surpasses all of the above requirements, but only has a single PCI-E 3.0 x4.

I always opt for preinstalled factory cooling on boards like this because I read about someone who bought a passively cooled SuperMicro Xeon board and wanted to add a fan, but couldn't do so without jury rigging the heatsink, sending the board back to SuperMicro, or voiding the warranty by modifying it himself.

abq

May 23, 2015
@stupidcr0w, sounds like you have a definite plan for upgrade to a wider PCIE bus motherboard. I would be very interested in your A2SDi-8C+-HLN4F when you upgrade, and if & when you decide to sell it. Best Regards, ABQ