QSFP to SFP+

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

colinb

Jul 19, 2022
I've not worked with fibre, so this may be super simple - if so, sorry! I have one switch in the basement with QSFP out (ICX6610) and a second in the attic with two SFP+ ports (ICX7150-C12P). I have already run "LC/UPC to LC/UPC OM4 Multimode Duplex 50/125um LSZH" fibre optic cable between the two.

If I put a single optical transceiver in each switch, will they autonegotiate a 10G link?

Is there a way to use this single cable to aggregate both the SFP+ ports and get 20G?

Thanks

altmind

Sep 23, 2018
I don't know about ICX7150, but on cisco-nexuses you can use QSFP splitter cables and then aggregate with lags. This obv requires the software support on the switch with the QSFP port.

edit:

for fiber you need MTP breakout cables. I dont recommend multimode, since its not significantly cheaper :D

ano

Nov 7, 2022
I've not worked with fibre, so this may be super simple - if so, sorry! I have one switch in the basement with QSFP out (ICX6610) and a second in the attic with two SFP+ ports (ICX7150-C12P). I have already run "LC/UPC to LC/UPC OM4 Multimode Duplex 50/125um LSZH" fibre optic cable between the two.

If I put a single optical transceiver in each switch, will they autonegotiate a 10G link?

Is there a way to use this single cable to aggregate both the SFP+ ports and get 20G?

Thanks

since you allready have run om4, you probably want to stick with it, allthough lots of times mixing them actually works

to aggregate, or to just dual uplink (both will work) one just requires config, other requires STP or vlan, I would do aggregation though

you need a SR4 module, and some standard SR sfp+ module + a breakout cable

this for breakout
this optic in the brocade QSPF Brocade 40G QSFP+ 40G-QSFP-SR4 Transceiver Module - FS
this for the SFP+ 10G one x 2 Brocade 10G-SFPP-SR 10GBASE-SR SFP+ Transceiver Module - FS

colinb

Jul 19, 2022
since you allready have run om4, you probably want to stick with it, allthough lots of times mixing them actually works
Mixing what actually works? I *might* be able to run something else today/tomorrow (literal last chance saloon). What should I better run?

you need a SR4 module, and some standard SR sfp+ module + a breakout cable

this for breakout this optic in the brocade QSPF Brocade 40G QSFP+ 40G-QSFP-SR4 Transceiver Module - FS
this for the SFP+ 10G one x 2 Brocade 10G-SFPP-SR 10GBASE-SR SFP+ Transceiver Module - FS
Probably I'm being very dense, but I don't see how this works. What goes in the ??? below?:
QSFP -> SR4 module -> OM4 cable -> ??? -> breakout cable -> 2x SR module -> 2x SFP+, aggregated

E: Breakout cable has 4x male SFP+ connectors, and 1x female MTP connector. Makes a lot more sense now!

ano

Nov 7, 2022
Mixing what actually works? I *might* be able to run something else today/tomorrow (literal last chance saloon). What should I better run?

Probably I'm being very dense, but I don't see how this works. What goes in the ??? below?:
QSFP -> SR4 module -> OM4 cable -> ??? -> breakout cable -> 2x SR module -> 2x SFP+, aggregated

honestly if it was me, I'd keep the OM4 you have actually run, comment was to prevous poster suggesting running OS2, if its less than 100 meters, OM4 is fine

QSFP > SR4 module > breakout cable > om4 cable x 2 >2x SR module > 2x SFP+ aggregated

also dont feel bad for not understanding this right away, have datacenter customers not understanding this

if the ICX6610 has normal sfp+ as well. you can of course just run them, I dont know the layout of the device you have

colinb

Jul 19, 2022
honestly if it was me, I'd keep the OM4 you have actually run, comment was to prevous poster suggesting running OS2, if its less than 100 meters, OM4 is fine

QSFP > SR4 module > breakout cable > om4 cable x 2 >2x SR module > 2x SFP+ aggregated
It's not even 25m

Reading you correctly though, I can't push 2xSFP+ channels (sorry, don't know the correct terminology) down a single OM4 line to a QSFP module? So I have to run another cable anyway if I want 2xSFP+ links?

ano

Nov 7, 2022
It's not even 25m

Reading you correctly though, I can't push 2xSFP+ channels (sorry, don't know the correct terminology) down a single OM4 line to a QSFP module? So I have to run another cable anyway if I want 2xSFP+ links?
mostly correct, I assumed you ran a trunk of fiber with multiple leads or had multiple fiber pairs, so you had 2 pairs free, but you only have 1?

if you have multiple free QSFP, and only QSFP avail, you can run QSFP > SFP+ tray, to single lambda SFP+ to achive it on single pair, but the optics then are mostly for smf os2, not om4, and might not work on your om4... so yeah... meh ;) like this Brocade 10G-SFPP-BXU 10GBASE-BX10-U SFP+ Transceiver - FS

colinb

Jul 19, 2022
It's connecting a basement to an attic, on a budget...so as few runs as I can get away with! Currently there is 1x OM4, and 3x Cat6a run between the two locations.

In the basement, available ports are:
2x QSFP as 4x10G SFP+ breakout
2x QSFP 40G
1-6x SFP+ 10G (tbd how I use them)

In the attic, available ports are:
2x SFP+ 10G

Basically I'd like to run something that can:
Right now, connect both SFP+ 10G ports in the attic to something in the basement
In 5yrs (or so), connect 25G or 40G in the attic to something in the basement (ideally 40G, so I don't have to change the basement switch)
In far future, connect 100G in the attic to 100G in the basement

Changing stuff at either end is simple; running new cable once it is all finished (plasterboarded, plastered, and painted with some bits tiled) is absolutely not simple!

Basically, I have a couple of days in which to run additional cable to future proof (insofaras that is possible), otherwise I'm stuck with what's there right now

Any suggestions? Thanks for all the help so far!

ano

Nov 7, 2022
run more fiber! can you get some os2 and more om4?

I'd run mpo/mpt runs of both with 24 strand, but not sure you can get thim in the timeframe you need? if you can, I'd get them + nice panels, just connect, no termination/hassle.

ano

Nov 7, 2022
I'm having a horrible house cableing project as previous owner installed a central vacum, lots of power and other cool stuff, and.. telephone line and coax... 0 ethernet 0 fiber... so yeah, please future proof yours!

I need to get os2/om5/ethernet to basement and garage + ethernet forcameras etc, it will not look good now, and be $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

colinb

Jul 19, 2022
MTP/MPO - what's the difference?

I can get OS2 and OM4 delivered today; MTP/MPO trunk looks like it's not going to happen this week

ano

Nov 7, 2022
just do a few runs of each of the singel pairs then and your pretty future proof.

Reactions: colinb

colinb

Jul 19, 2022
Old switches cannot run 25 gig. 10 gbps and 40 gbps are more available.
Thanks for your help! I know I'll need to change switches if I'm moving to 25/100G; right now I want to make sure I don't lock myself out of those speeds simply due to the cabling I run

colinb

Jul 19, 2022
just do a few runs of each of the singel pairs then and your pretty future proof.
2 additional OM4 single pairs, and 2 OS2 single pairs are on their way.

Annoying that I can't get MTP/MPO in the time available, but hey ho. Better than not realising at all!

Railgun

Jul 28, 2018
for fiber you need MTP breakout cables. I dont recommend multimode, since its not significantly cheaper :D

A $210/£236 difference in optics isn’t “significantly“ cheaper?