QNAP TVS-h874 Review A Snappy ZFS NAS with 2.5GbE

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

BoredSysadmin

Not affiliated with Maxell
Mar 2, 2019
As a slightly older QNAP TVS-875XT owner, I have mixed feelings about Qnap. On the one hand, as Eric correctly stated, Qnap NAS modes are well ahead of the competition in terms of newer and more powerful hardware. On the other, like in this case, they still stumble with a few fundamental design decisions, like shipping the ZFS system without the very important ECC memory or 10gig networking built-in, as they did in my model.
Also, 64 GB memory, while it will likely work (mine does) - it's not listed as an officially supported feature by Qnap - they say max memory is 32GB.
A more balanced system would have been a small step down on the CPU and a step up on ECC memory and networking!

The CPU cooling system also seems like a noticeable downgrade from the much better dual-fan slot cooling design in previous generation units. This one is cooled by a passive heatsink and a tiny fan, which can't spin too fast or annoy home users with excessive noise.

Qnap software, while mostly functional compared to Synology, is often more cumbersome to tweak (try getting video thumbnails to work in Qnap's Qmaggie or even fix photos sync). Updates can and DO break existing configurations, as it did on mine, too - this is the reason qnap nas owners are often behind the latest patches. Synology, while a few generations behind on hardware, at least no one has any reason to complain about their software polish.

And lastly, the real and most important reason for potential Qnap buyers: This happened to my unit:

Ok, I get it - hardware CAN fail. But since there seem to be many devices failing in precisely the same manner and all Qnap did was extend the warranty by one year. There never was a proper recall to fix affected units. They decided to sweep it under the rug and hoped no one noticed.
I don't recall any similar issues with iXsystems Truenas Mini systems (C2000 based) - having any issues dealing with iXsystems support (which is awesome btw, unlike Qnap or Synology)