Proxmox newbie needs help

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

epicurean

Sep 29, 2014
I am a complete Proxmox newbie.
Just installed proxmox a few days and ago and was slowly setting it up with the intention to move my vmware windows 10 VM in from an esxi 6.0 server.
Proxmox installation is in a raid 1 pair intel 3610 SSDs, whilst I created a raid 1 samsung 960 SSDs
I managed to bring over 1 windows 10 vm , converted it and was about to try to enable GPU and USB passthrough.

I made some changes to the bios in this X99 China motherboard (Wovibo X99)-, to enable IOMMU(still dunno where to do so) and now I getting these errors during boot up in proxmox:

"ACPI Bios Error (bug) could not resolve symbol [\_sb.PCIO.sat1.spt1._gtf.dssp].......
No root device specified. Boot arguments must include a root= parameter"
I get a a busybox prompt at the end of it
I set the bios back to default settings and still no difference.

I cannot access the proxmox webpage. How do I fix this? do I have to redo the setup all over again?
Any help

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
Could you have a boot/ disk ordering issue after tinkering in the BIOS? Try setting up again and use the wwn to set up your disks by ID instead :)

epicurean

Sep 29, 2014
Thank you.
I am indeed setting up all over again.
What do you mean by set up disk by ID ? how do I do that?

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
Find your disks by specifying /dev/disk/by-id/"your wwn or serial" when you set up your storage initially. Using /dev/sda works fine, up until the disk ordering gets jiggled around for some reason, then suddenly what was once /dev/sda becomes /dev/sdc etc. Suddenly disks can't be found after a reboot. Using the disk wwn or serial number prevents that from happening, no matter how many times the disk ordering gets jiggled around by changes elsewhere in the hardware, your disks are always found :)

epicurean

Sep 29, 2014
Thank you. Unfortunately I already setup my disks. Do I have to remove the already set up zfs raid 1 disks, and redo them ?
I see a lot of disks with the /dev/disk/by-id/ directory, some in labelled in parts. What exactly do I need to do?

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
If you have set up the raidz using /dev/sd* names, then yes, blow it all away and redo it using the disk label or wwn. If you drop to the command line and type ls -l /dev/disk/by-id you should see all your disks listed. For example, from one of mine, ata-HGST_HUH721008ALE600_7SGS5HAC, identifies the model plus the disk serial number, wwn-0x5000cca252ca8929 -> ../../sdb shows you the wwn for the same disk and how Linux currently see's it in the disk ordering, in this case sdb. That way you also know where in your rack the disk is physically located, if you take note of the serial numbers as you install them, so if in the unlucky event you have to swap one out, you know exactly which one to pull. If the disks have partitions on them already, you should also see something like part1, part9 etc :)

There are some pretty decent guides on getting Proxmox setup and running kicking about on the web. I also seem to remember a tutorial or something about Proxmox setup on STH which will definitely be worth looking for also :)

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
Ok, so I'm a complete nugget, sorry, my bad :)

I haven't done a clean install of Proxmox for a couple of years, and so decided to give it a go tonight with the latest version, just to get my facts straight. It seems that beginning ver6 they fixed the issue I mentioned with boot disk ordering when using zfs.

They now use device serial when building the array, that is the ata-Manufacturer_Model_Serial#, despite referring to boot ordered linux device name, /dev/sda etc, in the gui. You should be able to see your disk details if you go to Host/ Disks, then down to ZFS. If you highlight rpool, then hit the detail button, you will see that it is using /dev/disk/by-id already. Same thing can be achieved using the cli and typing ls -l /dev/disk/by-id and then zpool status.

All that said, if you manually create the zfs array from the command line, make sure to always use the device serial or wwn when specifying vdev members.

Last edited:
Reactions: epicurean