Processing Power - What do I really need?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

opensourcefan

Aug 24, 2022
So I have a bunch of R720's various formats and some R730's with their respective dual V2 and V4 E5-26XX CPUs.

I'm just running Proxmox with a pile of VM's and multiple instances of TrueNAS etc. I've designed most of it to be 10G and some 1G, nothing higher.

I can't seem to break the 40% CPU usage anywhere with any machine making me wonder what is the point of upgrading to R740 and beyond.

Can you guys provide some scenarios that would take me to the next level. Would upping the network to 40G or 100G make it work harder?

What would I need to run to utilize a Xeon Gold or Platinum etc. It would be cool if there a "builder" of some sort to assist with such a thing.

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
Why would you want more CPU usage?
You could try to consolidate the Servers to fewer Machines with Higher CPU load (the original Idea behind virtualization).
Or you can mine Bitcoins (or other cryptocurrency) On the CPU (imo a stupid Idea/suggestion)...

I've Upgraded Fileservers with dual core 2ghz to third Gen epyc Not for cpu Power but for pci lanes (and ram). The 2 cores with hyperthreading were enough to move Data Up to 40gbe over the Network.

oldpenguin

Apr 27, 2023
EU
Deploy yourself some huge "rear" enterprise level crm/erp that likely runs on windows server platforms and needs oracle or mssql cluster and see your core load pump through the roof. Some multi-player game server VMs might help as well. Surely there's plenty other cases.