Power saving versus performance

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

dba

Feb 20, 2012
San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA
I have noticed one thing about the C6100: If you enable power saving, power usage goes down but you get *really* big performance hit for normal DB or web transactions - around 40-50%. I wonder what the right settings are to minimize this? Intel experts?

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
dba - moved this to its own thread.

I think the driver here is the setting keeps the CPUs at lower power states longer. Will start playing when I can.

mrkrad

Oct 13, 2012
I found with ESXi you want to force MAX power.

DL380 G7 dual socket 6 core -> +45 watts
DL360 G6 single socket 6 core -> +30~ watts
DL380 G5 dual socket -> +100 watts
DL380 G4 single socket -> +100 watts

G4 and G5 base power draw are 300-350 watts, peaking at 500.
G6 base idle draw is 140watts peaking at 200+
G7 base idle draw is about 186 watts peaking at 400+

ESXi 5 advanced settings samples at (default) 100 a second and will force the cpu's and qpi to Maximum idle below 60percent (average of both sockets) - so basically 99% of the folks out there are running in super lame slow mo.

IF you don't set MAX in bios, you end up having a dog of a machine that will ramp up slowly and have poor disk iops on local DAS.

Sadly, it is not fixed.

Got to eat the max power or lose the performance.

What I found was keeping the air cool (portable a/c unit) kept the machines from ramping fans too hot, keeping the power supplies "Right-sized". 717watt power supplies on a machine with 1 socket and 72gb of ram and 6 SSD's is not cool, two of those power supplies - even less efficient. Modern servers now go into 99/1 setup where you stagger the servers left 99% right 1% much like active/passive standby. This allowed you to reach the sweet efficient zone of the power supply more of the time reducing heat waste and power waste.

Not much to say, i'm not a hyper-v man, but I do feel you on this problem with ESXi (3.5 to 5.1b) it's still there. Everyone disables C1E/C states by setting MAX/MAX/MAX performance in the bios and not letting ESXi handle the power.

I run a lot of SQL server virtualized so I know the exact pain you are talking about bro. I also know there are millions of folks out there that would be better off with 1 socket machines (fast quad-core) than two 6-core. Most of these folks were oversold and have two cpu's sitting at P12 most of the day between 5 and 20% utilization.

There's a reason why Intel doesn't make MAD fast xeon quad cores. That's all we'd use. (SQL heads would understand this based on the licensing).