Populate RAM on an Intel S2600CP Motherboard

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Son of Homer

May 9, 2016
My S2600CP2J MB had 128GB RAM, but there is a problem with slot G1, so I removed the RAM from G1 and G2. Memtest86 hangs, but the Sys Info shows the full 112GB, as does Belarc. Do I need to also remove the H1 and H2 RAM? I am reluctant to do this as I want to avoid removing and replacing the heat sink. Is it necessary or desirable to have a balance of RAM on both sides of the CPU?

Lastly, given that I cannot populate G1 and G2, can I also remove E1 and E2, and then repurpose the 32GB elsewhere?

Attachments

Lennong

Jun 8, 2017
I don't know it's of any help but I had some problems with a RAM slot.. It turned out to that I have bent a pin in the CPU socket when reseating the heat sink. I fixed it but it took me a while to realize it.

Reactions: Son of Homer

Son of Homer

May 9, 2016
I don't know it's of any help but I had some problems with a RAM slot.. It turned out to that I have bent a pin in the CPU socket when reseating the heat sink. I fixed it but it took me a while to realize it.
Thanks for the suggestion. I will take a closer look at the pins when I reopen the case tomorrow. When I messed up the motherboard with a bad bios update, I broke the clip at the end of the RAM socket which I think is the cause of this failure. The RAM seems to seat OK, but by removing this RAM pair it at least boots up now. Is the clip necessary for a RAM stick to work?

Any thoughts on removing only this RAM pair, or additionally another RAM pair as well, preferably the pair in E1 and E2, rather than H1 and H2? I saw something somewhere in Intel land that RAM should be loaded from outside to inside, so this would violate that. I am also wondering with just the G1 and G2 removed, why it still hangs on Memtest 86.

I really appreciate your help!

Son of Homer

May 9, 2016
@Lennong: your suggestion was fruitful. After re-seating the RAM, and ensuring the stub of the clip was in the right position, it now works! I hope it is not an intermittent fix. As a side benefit, I have learned a lot more about RAM. Thanks!

Lennong

Jun 8, 2017
@Lennong: your suggestion was fruitful. After re-seating the RAM, and ensuring the stub of the clip was in the right position, it now works! I hope it is not an intermittent fix. As a side benefit, I have learned a lot more about RAM. Thanks!
Sounds great! ..even though I don't think I had much to do with your success. ;)