PM1633a - Dell locked Firmware with Bugs

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

sirsquishy

Aug 6, 2018
We have these drives pulled from a EoL compellent array and they are running bugged firmware. We have tried to cross flash the drives to ODM spec but always results in failure, we have tried to flash the patched firmware from Dell but since we dont have the running compellent anymore it also results in failure.

KB from Dell - SC Storage Customer Notification: New disk firmware for specific Dell branded SSD Drives | Dell US

Does anyone know of a way to reflash these drives either with ODM firmware or the updated dell firmware to fix the bug - In rare circumstances, before cached IO is committed, disks may initiate a Drive Internal Reset as a result of a firmware exception. This condition may result in Hosts or the Storage Center reporting data integrity issues. Additionally, the potential for performance issues has been observed in a small number of systems utilizing these SSD models.

For us the work around is to pull the drive, zeroize it, and rei-nit back on the controller then in 90-180 days the drives fail out again. So we eventually pulled the drives and replaced them with Micron 5100's but I would like to fix this firmware issue and put them in an additional shelf.

Reactions: yukas

RTM

Jan 26, 2014
Do you have access to the firmware itself from Dell (I have not read anywhere, that people have been able to reflash SSD's with a standard firmware from Intel, Samsung and so on, so I believe that Dell firmware is your best bet).

If you can somehow extract the firmware file from the Dell installer (if it needs to do this), you may be able to use other tools from Dell, Samsung or if you are feeling exceptionally lucky something like sg3_utils (if you consider this, be sure to read up on it first !) to flash the disks.

Of course given the way you wrote the post, I assume that if you were able to download the firmware (and it was as an installer), that you have tried using it anyway outside of the Dell/Compellent system?

yukas

Jun 3, 2022
any drives don't flash via SGutils, SSD manager and etc because all drives locked with Logical unit failure

Fixed format, current; Sense key: Hardware Error
Additional sense: Logical unit failure
Raw sense data (in hex), sb_len=64, embedded_len=18
70 00 04 00 00 00 00 0a 00 00 00 00 3e 01 00 00
00 00
MODE SENSE (10) command: Medium or hardware error, type: sense key (plus blank check for tape)

any way for unlock?