Plex for WD My Passport Wireless Pro - Portable Plex Server?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

rubylaser

Jan 4, 2013
Michigan, USA
I just sync media locally onto the kid's iPads for most trips. In the past I have used a RAVPOWER device with a 2TB 2.5" external drive to steam wirelessly in the truck. This WD device looks neat,but I would probably never use it myself.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
I just sync media locally onto the kid's iPads for most trips. In the past I have used a RAVPOWER device with a 2TB 2.5" external drive to steam wirelessly in the truck. This WD device looks neat,but I would probably never use it myself.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
I can't see myself using this device myself but for those who don't have a lot of internal storage on their devices or who know they will be needing a lot more than their device holds, it sounds like a decent option. Especially for those who spend a lot of time in hotels where the wireless is often slow and spotty.

cptbjorn

Aug 16, 2013
I thought I never had to think about something like this with my colo'd plex server, but I'm always having problems with getting enough wifi bandwidth at certain hotels, planes and my family's houses etc. I've been planning on getting the non-pro version of this for the road and manually installing plex on it, I've read it works pretty well.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
It looks good until you realise there's no transcode, that's a big catch compared to how plex is used normally.
Right. It's basically just a large sync drive that you can access wirelessly from any device running the Plex app.

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
I own the original and that already had media streaming built in. Been pretty happy with it, but I mostly used it to back up my SD cards while traveling overseas. Streaming seemed to work alright the few times I used it. Would buy another.