PCI Passthrough on the AliExpress boxes?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

sko

Jun 11, 2021
If you care about latency, don't use virtualization on such a low-end box...

AnthonyUK

May 9, 2023
How would a layperson (me) determine if the AliExpress/Topton boxes support PCI Passthrough? Specifically - the N100 version - https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256....0.0.600c38daWPtSod&mp=1&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa. I'm wanting to tinker with Proxmox and OPNsense and would rather not bridge the interfaces - assuming doing so introduces latency etc.
It works fine as long as the BIOS has the option to enable VT-d which they generally do.
I do not see that it adds any noticeable latency to worry about.
I get around 3ms on my fibre connection to UK sites (I'm not in a big city) and had 7ms on the VDSL connection it replaced.

ToniCipriani

Sep 6, 2023
I just bought the 6x i226V / N305 version. Seems like only VT-x is enabled but not VT-d, I was unable to use PCI passthrough.

dmesg did return the DMAR lines but Proxmox is throwing IOMMU not found errors, and I've already added the intel_iommu=on and iommu=pt flags.

Trying to ask the seller if there is a BIOS setting to enable it, BIOS only seem to have one VMX setting.

Attachments

AnthonyUK

May 9, 2023
I just bought the 6x i226V / N305 version. Seems like only VT-x is enabled but not VT-d, I was unable to use PCI passthrough.

dmesg did return the DMAR lines but Proxmox is throwing IOMMU not found errors, and I've already added the intel_iommu=on and iommu=pt flags.

Trying to ask the seller if there is a BIOS setting to enable it, BIOS only seem to have one VMX setting.
Have you also loaded the required modules?
I can confirm it works perfectly on the Topton 4 port version I have which is a CW board.

ToniCipriani

Sep 6, 2023
Fixed the issue... turns out I need to re-run update-grub. For some reason the guides I was following told me to run update-initramfs...

mattventura

Nov 9, 2022
In case anyone else runs into the same issue, you'd run update-grub if you made the change by adding kernel command line arguments, but update-initramfs if you're doing the configuration in /etc/modprobe.d (or anywhere else in /etc that isn't related to kernel command line).

ToniCipriani

Sep 6, 2023
In case anyone else runs into the same issue, you'd run update-grub if you made the change by adding kernel command line arguments, but update-initramfs if you're doing the configuration in /etc/modprobe.d (or anywhere else in /etc that isn't related to kernel command line).
Now that you mention it, both should be needed, since there's the boot flag and the vfio modules to add.