Passthrough: USB Mouse & Keyboard to VM

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

SaveServer

Feb 16, 2022
I would like to provide mouse and keyboard to my VM with graphics card passthrough.
Actually, I don't want to install another PCIe USB-Card and assign it to the VM via passthrough.
This currently only works for me with USB sticks, but various mouse and keyboards are not recognized on USB.
Is there a way to pass the mouse and keyboard from the host to a VM?

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
That will very much depend on your host and client OS and goal for doing that.
You can RDP/VNC in to the client OS for example which is fine to simply config a value, but not suitable for playing games.

Providing a pass-through-able device will be the cleanest solution even though (even if you'd rather not do it;))

SaveServer

Feb 16, 2022
That will very much depend on your host and client OS and goal for doing that.
I have a Win10 VM on the ESXi server with a passthrough graphics card. I would like to use this as a computer with a connected screen.

The only thing that surprises me is, that I can pass a USB stick through the host USBs of the ESXi server, but no mouse or keyboard is recognized.

The extra card is a problem, because I would actually need the last PCIe slot for another HBA! :(

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Ah.
Never played with that, and the usual guides suggest the extra card as simple solution.
So somebody else would need to chime in, sorry.