OwnCloud - NFS or CIFS

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Davewolfs

Aug 6, 2015
Considering OwnCloud for my cloud storage. If I use CIFS or NFS as my backing store (without their external storage plugin) is there really any difference? Basically wondering if there is anything to look out for if using either of these mount types instead of my Linux file system.

Also, more of an aside but have any of you chosen Seafile instead of OwnCloud?

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
I was just going to post about this question, as well as ask about Seafile and Pydio.

Anyone care to share? My storage is ZFS based shared over NFS. If that matters.

OR, what about running Owncloud / SeaFile / Pydio on OmniOS -- anyone doing this? 1 less VM.

groove

Sep 21, 2011
I run OwnCloud as a zone (container) in Solaris 11.3. The OwnCloud zone then connects to the global zone over NFS. Works great for me (albiet it's for home use with 3-4 users).

cperalt1

Feb 23, 2015
Why bother doing it via NFS to the global zone. Wouldn't you get higher performance by LOFS mounting into the zone or if it is the only zone using the dataset you could also delegate the dataset to the zone as well.

groove

Sep 21, 2011
I go over NFS since I like my Owncloud data to be available in a 'native' filesystem - I tried delegating the dataset to the zone but then had issues accessing the dataset from the global zone. I did not try LOFS - at that time I just switched over to using NFS and configured autofs to mount the folder in owncloud. It was easy enough to do and has been working quite well.

kroem

Aug 16, 2014
I use Nextcloud, data stored on a NFS shared ZFS storage. Perfoance is meh, but I think that's the application.