OSX on vSphere

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Gerk

Oct 24, 2016
Oakville, ON, Canada
I do virtual OSX on a daily basis for both work (school lab testing) and fun (at home). I have both Apple hardware and non-apple hardware (using donk's unlocker 2.0.8), and yes I know it's breaking Apple's EULA ... but I do have an use Apple hardware as well so I don't lose that much sleep over it for testing on a home lab ;)

If you do manage to setup a single instance and decide you want to easily deploy more I highly suggest using something like Deploy Studio -- DeployStudio -- it's free and easy to setup. Also with the way VMWare works if you have no bootable image it defaults back to network boot -- so it will load your deploy studio setup by default on anything that "supports" OSX guests.

So for my setup I just fire up a blank VM, don't set it to use any boot media and it netboots to deploy studio. I can deploy a new OSX VM instance in ~ 5 minutes. There's one additional hoop to jump through on a brand new vmdk though, you have to format it at least once with Apple's Disk Utility (provided in the deploy studio boot set you build) -- or just do it with diskutil at the command line, which is what I've done in my situation, just added it as the first step of my deploy workflow. It basically needs at least some GPT info on the drive before the default deploy studio workflows will pick up that it's there.

Going to have to try that vmxnet3 trick and see how it works.