Opinions on Samsung PM863

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Larson

Nov 10, 2015
Okay, sounds pretty easy; so I install it on my computer and select to create a flashdrive recovery media it sound like. Does the free version do this or is a paid version required?

Deslok

Jul 15, 2015
deslok.dyndns.org
Okay, sounds pretty easy; so I install it on my computer and select to create a flashdrive recovery media it sound like. Does the free version do this or is a paid version required?
Free will do everything you need, paid does dissimilar hardware and a few extra things like differential images and widows sever.

Larson

Nov 10, 2015
Free will do everything you need, paid does dissimilar hardware and a few extra things like differential images and widows sever.
Splendid! I will give that a try. Thanks again for all your help! And sorry to everyone else for getting of topic here. :oops:

Larson

Nov 10, 2015
Sequential R/W numbers look low. I have a 960GB PM863 and sequentials are both close to or above 500MB/s. If I had to guess, you're probably running the drive on a SATA II port or maybe it's downshifting for some reason.
What software is best for TRIM (optimizing) the PM863 on Windows 7? I have Samsung Magician installed, and it will do the benchmarks, but it won't do the Performance Optimization. Is that because it is an Enterprise Drive?

keybored

May 28, 2016
What software is best for TRIM (optimizing) the PM863 on Windows 7? ...
Windows 7 and higher already have built-in TRIM support. You do not need any other software to run TRIM.
The enterprise version of Samsung Magician will let you do things like secure erase, change OP levels, update f/w, etc.

Larson

Nov 10, 2015
Windows 7 and higher already have built-in TRIM support. You do not need any other software to run TRIM.
The enterprise version of Samsung Magician will let you do things like secure erase, change OP levels, update f/w, etc.
Have you ever used this utility? If so, let me ask: I downloaded the Windows OS 64-bit version of Magician (1.33MB file) from here, but launching it flashes up a command prompt window that disappears before I can see what it says; nothing is installed. Does the enterprise version not have a GUI like the consumer version does? Do you know how to use it to do things like performance optimization, change OP levels, update firmware, etc?

keybored

May 28, 2016
Have you ever used this utility? If so, let me ask: I downloaded the Windows OS 64-bit version of Magician (1.33MB file) from here, but launching it flashes up a command prompt window that disappears before I can see what it says; nothing is installed. Does the enterprise version not have a GUI like the consumer version does? Do you know how to use it to do things like performance optimization, change OP levels, update firmware, etc?
This tool does not have a GUI. You have to use it from the command line. I used it to secure erase both of my PM863s before I started using them. I don't recall seeing any performance optimization options, but the options for f/w update and OP levels were there.