OmniOS view source of disk traffic?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

legen

Mar 6, 2013
Sweden
I have some xenserver hypervisors accessing our shared omnios san storage over NFS. I would like to see which of these hypervisors that are currently putting load on the SAN.

For example "hypervisor-5" might have a VM going nuts putting a lot of load on the SAN. In the san i can only see that the load is high with zpool iostat.

Any one have a tool for this?
I have not tested but as far as i can see napp-it monitor extension does not allow you to find the source of the traffic based on NFS client IPs?

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
I am not aware of a solution to monitor NFS traffice among clients.
A "solution" may be a virtual nic or a filesystem for every VM as you can monitor load of them.

legen

Mar 6, 2013
Sweden
I am not aware of a solution to monitor NFS traffice among clients.
A "solution" may be a virtual nic or a filesystem for every VM as you can monitor load of them.
I think i might have been a bit unclear on my goal :) It would be sufficient to know how much bandwidth each IP uses on the SAN. I can then check the performance metrics on the hypervisor itself to find the culprit VM. So something like iftop (iftop: display bandwidth usage on an interface should work for me. But i have not managed to install it in omnios,

using pkgin, (napp-it // webbased ZFS NAS/SAN appliance for OmniOS, OpenIndiana, Solaris and Linux : Downloads i see the following error.
Code:
root@SanTest:~# pkgin search iftop
iftop-0.17nb3        Display bandwidth usage on an interface
pkgin install iftop-0.17nb3
calculating dependencies... done.
/lib/64/libz.so.1, needed by iftop-0.17nb3 is not present in this system.
/lib/64/libxml2.so.2, needed by iftop-0.17nb3 is not present in this system.
/lib/64/libz.so.1, needed by libpcap-1.4.0nb1 is not present in this system.
/lib/64/libxml2.so.2, needed by libpcap-1.4.0nb1 is not present in this system.
I guess this means that some dependencies can not be can not be met on the OmniOS v11 r151010 release?

EDIT: have looked at nicstat too but cannot find any flags to show bandwidth usage per source IP.