Omni OS

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

acmcool

Banned
Jun 23, 2015
Woodbury,MN
I was fedup with freenas...Mannual was not really helpful to get replication working...
AD integration also was intermittent and NFS performance..
Nappp-it replication was peace of cake to setup...replicated over 30TB data.. :)

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
Ironically, I have a buddy who does a VDI co-lo gig (about 300 hosted Horizon sessions across 15 or so companies), we started w/ Solaris 11, moved to OmniOS, looked at OmniOS w/ napp-it but decided we needed the remote replication feature/license and decided to check out FreeNAS and he loves it...this is over a 4-5 year period of the co-lo VDI business and using pure OpenStorage ZFS white box SAN builds.

I'm not converting over but for him it seems to be a win. We've done some pretty extensive testing w/ replication between my home lab and his co-lo FreeNAS stg stacks across our VPN (all AIO/VM stg appliances BTW so far) and are seeing positive results. Only seeing 1/2 the throughput across native FreeNAS replication engine even if we turn encryption off compared to good ole netcat from cli so that's something to consider. Replication was a bit tricky but once you get it it works amazingly well.

Glad to have been of useful service/advise. :-D

Take care,
~whitey

Reactions: socra