NVDimm support on AMD Epyc

RageBone

Jul 11, 2017
two possible issues between powergems.
Pinout of the cable / connectors.
And the Controller used in the Powergem.

I suspect that they have i2c wired up so that the NVDIMM can get telemetry from the Gem.
Through that, it could check for a specific controller used.

Datasheets for a a LTC3350:
Technically its the wrong manufacturer since the logo on the chip shown in the pictures refers to Linear Technology (LT) and not Analog Devices

@nasbdh9 you could do as a favor in grabbing a multimeter and measuring the pinout of the powergem connector going to the NVDIMM.

nasbdh9

Aug 4, 2019

I suspect that they have i2c wired up so that the NVDIMM can get telemetry from the Gem.

Technically its the wrong manufacturer since the logo on the chip shown in the pictures refers to Linear Technology (LT) and not Analog Devices

@nasbdh9 you could do as a favor in grabbing a multimeter and measuring the pinout of the powergem connector going to the NVDIMM.
Sorry, I have sold all these boxes :oops:

Propaganda

Dec 6, 2017

Analog Devices bought Linear Technology a few years ago.

Reactions: RageBone

edgecase

Nov 4, 2021
I wonder, are any of these safe to use in production environments, while waiting for CXL products to hit the market? I'm not a fan of HPE's storage cost, but I would trust their NVIDMM implementation, and possibly Dell. If I buy a Tyan TS75-B8252 and some NVDIMMs and PowerGems, even if they are new-in-box, is there any vendor support? I wonder if there is a way I could test them to be confident they are reliable?

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Of course you can test them, its ram + battery.
Mount as drive, write to it, power down box, remove any trace of power, power back up. Everything should still be there.

I doubt you get vendor support from HPE/Dell unless the system they were sold with is still under warranty, and basically no chance for any support on 3rd party.
I know Supermicro is not helping much (no market for them), but Micron was helpful, but not sure if that's the official stance or if i was lucky