Norco RPC-4224 backplane, or alterative Chassis

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

snowmirage

Oct 23, 2023
After years of having my home lab in a hand built crazy chassis I finally moved into a new home where I had room for the 6ft tall server Rack I've had in storage since college.

If you're curious check out the tail end of this post.

I bit the bullet and bought a Norco RPC-4224 off amazon to house the 24 3.5" drives.

I've recently had a number of drives seem to fail (running Unraid) after testing those drives after replacing them, I'm not sure the drives really failed. I think the Norco backplane is just kinda trash and dropping power or such (I've seen a number of other threads discussing similar issues).

Searching around for a replacement backplane it seems thats pretty much unobtainium...

Can anyone recommend a chassis I could truly rely on? I need something that...

1) Is "affordable" for a home lab.
less than $1k, ideally less than $600/700

2) at least 24x 3.5" Hot SATA swap bays. I'd take more...
I have no intention of truly hot swapping drives I just want to be able to replace a failing drive without taking the thing out of the rack and/or having to open up the case.

3) Support standard ATX motherboard (I'm running a Ryzen 3950x at the moment)

4) Supports a standard ATX power supply
I already have a Corsair AX1200i

5) Supports full height PCI slots

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
A supermicro 836 or 846 could be great for almost all the points you listed. The only "problem" is #4 as supermicro rackmount chassis use "non atx" form factor + power distribution boards...

Searching around for a replacement backplane it seems thats pretty much unobtainium...
That's the problem with many cheap rackmount chassis, once they go "end of life" the manufacturer replace them with newer version with incompatible parts or the products/spare parts disappear forever...

snowmirage

Oct 23, 2023
A supermicro 836 or 846 could be great for almost all the points you listed. The only "problem" is #4 as supermicro rackmount chassis use "non atx" form factor + power distribution boards...

That's the problem with many cheap rackmount chassis, once they go "end of life" the manufacturer replace them with newer version with incompatible parts or the products/spare parts disappear forever...
I've never actually had hands on one of those super micro chassis. The main reason I've stuck with a standard ATX power supply is I need PCI-E power for several video cards, is there a good way to do that with those server PSUs? If they can support that and the power connections for standard ATX Motherboards I could make that work.