Norco DS-24E locate drive nor working

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.
Hi, I just installed a Norco DS-24E with a LSI SAS 9286CV-8e.

A couple things:

1) The bay drive numbers are all over the place.
I'll open the case and see if I can swap the plug order to the bays semi-ordered.

2) The LSI MSM app shows the enclosure environment monitor items, but they appear to be generic to the ARC-8026 expander, not associated with the actual chassis. E.g. two PSU's, there is only one, 4 fans, none are spinning, voltage 1v, etc.
Can this configuration be programmed in the ARC-8026 settings, or does Norco have a custom firmware image for the ARC-8026, or can the LSI controller be configured to understand the chassis?

3) Some drives require inserting multiple times before they are picked up.
This only happens with some specific drives, other drives hook up right away on the same slots.
Is this an indication of a possible problem with the drives?

4) And lastly, and the only thing worth writing about, the locate drive functionality is not working.
This functionality is really important to me.
Each drive tray does have two LED's, one turns on when the drive is inserted, and one turns on for disk activity (or for SSD's they are always on).
Is there any way to get the locate drive functionality to work?

If not, can you recommend other 24 bay SAS2 enclosures in the same price range ($1500) that includes locate drive functionality?

P.

I received a reply from Norco support.

1) I swapped the SAS cables and now the bay numbers match the port numbers.

2) The ARC-8026 monitoring is not used, and the chassis fans are directly connected to power, and do not have RPM sense capability.

3) Possibly bad drive.

4) The backplane does not support SGPIO.

Can anybody recommend other 24 bay 4U SAS2 expander enclosures in the same price range ($1500) that does includes locate / SGPIO drive functionality?

P.

FYI, I also tried a SansDigital EliteSTOR ES424X6+BS:
http://www.sansdigital.com/elitestor/es424x6plusbs.html

It is a few hundred $ more expensive, but the packaging and construction quality is much higher, it is less noisy (bigger fans), and it supports SGPIO SES2 with drive fail and drive located LED's.

Only things I don't like are no power switch on the front of the unit, and the trays requires a tool to open.

P.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Very interesting. I have heard good things about SansDigital boxes.