Norco 4220 /w Intel SAS Expander

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

cyantist

Apr 5, 2017
Hi all,

Here's what I have and what I want to accomplish. I just set up my FreeNAS box into a SM 836 3U chassis with 16 drives on the SAS2-EL1 expander running off a single port on a Dell H310. So far this works perfectly. I also have a Norco RPC-4220 that I just decommissioned as my previous FreeNAS box. I would like to add this back into the mix, acting as just a JBOD to add 20 more disks to FreeNAS using ZFS, connected to either the second port on the H310 or from my SAS2-EL1 backplane. Here's what I'm thinking:

1. Pick up an Intel RES2SV240NC expander for the Norco and find a place to mount it. It uses molex power, so no problem for my currently installed ATX PSU.

2. Get a couple of internal 8087 to external 8088 SAS adapter cards and external 8088 cables, OR use a internal to internal 8087 and run from the H310 to the Intel. Ghetto yes, but I'd probably save a few bucks with no real drawbacks, unless I'm missing something here.

3. Connect the Intel expander to the Norco backplane using 5x 8087 cables.

In theory, either of these scenarios should work if I'm on the right track. To be honest, I'd probably go with the internal/external adapter cards just for the sake of doing things right, but I could get those later on.

The questions I have are how do I turn the ATX PSU on without a motherboard installed? Surely there's a workaround/part available for this purpose? Also, is it better to daisy-chain from the SAS2-EL1 to the Intel RES2SV240NC or from the unused port on the H310? Should there be two cables going from the H310 to the SAS2-EL1 expander? I'm using only one currently and get decent performance on FreeNAS/ZFS across 16 SATA3 drives. Just not sure what the best practice is or how many drives the H310 can handle per port/card, or if it makes a difference at all?

Thanks for any advice or suggestions. I want to make sure to buy the right parts to make this work.

Aestr

Oct 22, 2014
Seattle
2. Get a couple of internal 8087 to external 8088 SAS adapter cards and external 8088 cables, OR use a internal to internal 8087 and run from the H310 to the Intel. Ghetto yes, but I'd probably save a few bucks with no real drawbacks, unless I'm missing something here.
If you have a rack don't try to snake an 8087 cable between the insides of two chassis. Beyond it not being the "right" way, assuming you are rack mounting them you'll have a hell of a time pulling on of the servers out of the rack without pulling both out since you likely won't have much slack outside of the chassis. It will cost you a bit more but avoid some needless frustration

cyantist

Apr 5, 2017
Yes, I already thought of that and have decided to just do it the right way. I'll pick up a 3ft 8088 external cable so I can easily slide either system out of my rack without having to disconnect anything, and easy to disconnect if I need to.

I read about adding a jumper to the PS_ON and ground for the PSU control issue, and it can be toggled on and off with the power switch on the PSU itself. Simple.

The one last thing I'm trying to find out is how many drives I can run off of one H310 via expanders without running into performance issues. I have several of these already, so maybe I will have to do some good old fashioned benchmarking and testing once I'm set up and find out whether I'm better off using one or two HBAs.

Thanks for the advice. I appreciate it.

K D

Dec 24, 2016
Use a supermicro JBOD board to control the power supply. Version 3 even has ipmi.

K D

Dec 24, 2016
In case you are looking for the CSE-PTJBOD-CB2 (version 2 of the board), I have 2 available. PM me.

cyantist

Apr 5, 2017
Good to know about this part, but the Norco case just uses a regular ATX PSU. Not sure I need something that elaborate just to run 20 drives and the expander? Basically I just need the power supply to turn on and stay on which I can control with the built in switch on the power supply itself (i'm hoping anyways). I'm going to install the jumper and do some tests this week.