Nightmare buying a Samsung drive off eBay

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

eroji

Dec 1, 2015
We purchased 2 "NEW" Samsung SSDs off eBay that was listed as Samsung drives for a server build we were doing. However, when we received them, they turned out to be HPE labeled. Due to the urgent time frame we needed the server, we still went ahead with the build. However, within the first week, 1 of the 2 drives dropped out of the RAID1 array. I attempted to recover the array thinking perhaps the drive was incorrectly seated. However, the drive once again failed. Here is where the fun begins. I then reached out to the seller to return the drive on eBay. He immediately denied the request to return and instead said he'd work with HPE to RMA the drive. However, it's been more than a month since and we still don't have a replacement nor our money back. I then tried to reach out to eBay to step in only to be directed to speak to PayPal. I opened a dispute with PayPal, and on 3 separate occasions, they denied the dispute saying it's buyer's remorse, not "not as described" so they won't cover it. They eventually told me to talk to HPE to provide a "proof" of the drive being defective, which I knew was not going to be possible, but I still gave it a try. As expected HPE told me they can't do anything without the drive being in a HPE server. So now I am back where I started. Anyone have suggestions on how I can salvage this situation? I considered calling the credit card company to request for a charge back, but I think that would cause issues with our PayPal account.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
1. Its weird that eBay directs you to Paypal unless the ebay timelines have already been exceeded; Paypal has longer protection timeframe o/c
2. Theoretically the fact that its not an original Samsung drive but an HPE drive should be enough; in detail its probably a question on how the eBay listing was phrased.
3. Even if they don't go for that - its not working properly, so even that alone should (again) be enough (again depending on specifics of the listing)

So with having tried 3 times already I doubt you will get any different results from regular Paypal support - you could raise a formal complaint with them though unless you already tried that

Getting/Borrowing a HPE Server is o/c an option (or finding a fellow member who could offer to help).

I assume you checked that both have identical firmware, switched cables and all these basic things?

SRussell

Oct 7, 2019
US
1. Its weird that eBay directs you to Paypal unless the ebay timelines have already been exceeded; Paypal has longer protection timeframe o/c
2. Theoretically the fact that its not an original Samsung drive but an HPE drive should be enough; in detail its probably a question on how the eBay listing was phrased.
3. Even if they don't go for that - its not working properly, so even that alone should (again) be enough (again depending on specifics of the listing)

So with having tried 3 times already I doubt you will get any different results from regular Paypal support - you could raise a formal complaint with them though unless you already tried that

Getting/Borrowing a HPE Server is o/c an option (or finding a fellow member who could offer to help).

I assume you checked that both have identical firmware, switched cables and all these basic things?
Ebay dispute time is 30 days.

I am surprised at Paypal. You may just need to escalate with PayPal. I have had Ebay buyers submit a unit is faulty dispute with PayPal after 5 months and win. Hopefully you payed with your credit card: if you did you should have 90 days of purchase protection.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
My opinion without knowing more information... you gave them too much information and they had to make a decision using their understanding of the technology. When doing returns it's best to be as simple and basic as possible. It either works or it doesn't don't explain why unless you are sure you're writing it up in simple to understand terms for anyone, which is very tricky.

Reactions: Aestr and amalurk

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
We purchased 2 "NEW" Samsung SSDs off eBay that was listed as Samsung drives for a server build we were doing. However, when we received them, they turned out to be HPE labeled. Due to the urgent time frame we needed the server, we still went ahead with the build.
IMHO, you have to take the hit to your timeframe / cost / whatever, even if it is a personal project, to get the correct item(s). If I need a specific OEM version of a drive, I'll reject any that aren't that way. Likewise (less common, as I typically buy these through an authorized distributor) if I need the generic version of the drive, I'll reject any that aren't generic.

Most recently, this bit me with some Kioxia (ex-Toshiba) NVMe drives for Dell workstations. I needed Dell OEM, the listing picture showed Dell OEM, but the seller shipped HP OEM. Despite me telling them it wouldn't work, they insisted I open the sealed factory packaging and install each drive (individually) and try to run the Dell firmware update utility (which of course failed). They send me a prepaid return label, but I had to order the drives from a different seller at a somewhat higher price to get Dell OEM ones. I did get the refund from the first seller in a timely manner once they received the HP OEM drives back, but I needed the drives soon enough that I had to buy the second batch before I received the refund for the first batch.

Samsung is particularly obnoxious, with their "too bad, so sad" reaction to support for OEM (or just sold to a different class of distributor) drives. You can get a drive in sealed Samsung packaging and both the packaging and the drive are indistinguishable from a Samsung retail one. If you're really unlucky, it will be at the current firmware revision and you won't find out you've been had until there's a firmware update and Magician says "No update for you!".