NIC with LED chassis connectors

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

BigWorm

Sep 3, 2012
Dumb question (and silly one), but why don't nic cards have chassis led connectors? The norco cases all seem to have front LED for the nics but it seems the only way to use them is by using Supermicro server boards.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Other server motherboards have them. I have never really looked at add on card NICs for LED headers come to think of it. My guess (could be stupid) is that usually you have two NIC LEDs and usually they are utilized by the motherboard so none left for add on cards.

BigWorm

Sep 3, 2012
That makes sense. I guess no blinking lights for me than. I got that ebay deal you posted http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190718363193 and plan on turning it into a pfsense box. Just going to order 2 Intel nic cards for it and that is why it had me looking into this topic. Since the motherboard is not a server board it does not include the LED headers for front panel. I guess for the price I got it I can't complain.