Newly installed unused disks listed twice.

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

jboren

Jan 29, 2015
Greetings,

I have weird issue I'm not understanding going on, which I hope someone can shed some light on. I have a ZFS system running OmniOS and napp-it Pro version. This was originally a nexenta system, that got repurposed as a plain old NAS. It is based on a Supermicro Superserver 2027R-N3RF4+ with an LSI 9207-8e which connects via 2 cables to a Supermicro 847E16-RJBOD1 JBOD. There are 12 disks in the JBOD, configured in mirror pairs to one pool. Needed to add some space, so purchased 8 more disks, and installed them in the JBOD. Now whenever I list the unused disks they show up twice. This is the same whether via napp-it disks page, or if I list them via the command line. I can tell they are duplicated by the serial numbers. I didn't configure the server originally, the pool was originally configured by Nexenta. Then, when the server was repurposed, I just installed OmniOS and imported the pool.

Anybody have any idea how I should handle this situation? I could just add the disks in mirror pairs, but am concerned about the fact they're listed twice while unused. Is that something I need to concern myself with or should I just add the disks and not worry.

Thanks for any advice anyone has.

Best regards,
Joe

azev

Jan 18, 2013
I think you are seeing the same drive twice because you have 2 cable connected to the backplane.
You can either remove one of the cable from the backplane of enable multipath.

jboren

Jan 29, 2015
That makes sense, I had a feeling it was related to that, but wasn't sure since the original drives only show once. I will look into configuring multipath for the new disks. Thanks for the pointer.

Best,
Joe

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
You can edit the multipath settings in napp-it menu Disks > Details and mpxio