(New to) PfSense: Vlans and bridged LAN's don't work?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Caennanu

May 18, 2021
Hi there!

I'm having some issues with setting up PfSense. Mainly, Vlan's on bridging all available ports.
I hope the following information clearly shows my issue.

So i've set up my Qotom 1U.
Lan port 5, is for Proxmox, Vlan aware.
Lan port 1 - 4 and SFP ports 1-4 for Pfsense (VM in Proxmox), with PCI-E passthrough.

I've set up all the Vlan's i need (a total of 4).
Activated / assigned all interfaces.
Added all Vlan's to LAN1 (IGC0)

Went to Bridges, and bridged LAN 1-4, SFP 1-4 all together. (included the interfaces for RSTP as well)
Gave this bridge group its own DHCP. And all the Vlan's their own DHCP in their respective range.

I hook up the laptop to Lan 2, 3 and 4. I get an IP from the Switch group.
Hook up Lan5 (proxmox) to LAN1. And.... i can't connect to it.

Assign static ip in same range as proxmox is on, which equals one of the Vlan's.
And... i can connect to proxmox just fine. But am nolonger able to connect to PfSense while on that subnet.

So... firewall rules right? Nope... All Vlan's and Switchgroup have an accept rule anything to anything on any protocol.

Cut short:
When i assign a static ip to my laptop within the same range as proxmox. I can connect to proxmox, but am unable to connect to Pfsense.
When i assign a static (or get a dhcp) ip to my laptop within the same range as the Bridge, i can acces pfsense from any of the dhcp subnets, but am unable to acces proxmox.

What am i missing / not understanding?

Last edited:

Caennanu

May 18, 2021
To add: Besides the obvious reason, that i want to be able to login to my proxmox, i kinda need this to work so that i can also acces the PiHole VM i wish to move there from my unraid server.

Caennanu

May 18, 2021
Right so... long story short. It helps that when you make proxmox Vlan aware. to also configure the Vlan's you made it aware off.

Reactions: SnJ9MX