New Homelab build, should I go 14700k or 14900k?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

jkimmerling

Apr 28, 2024
heh, that's a big change from "the ram usage will be pretty low" a few posts up. if your requirements are 512GB RAM and 16 lanes of nvme then yes, you are forced onto an enterprise platform. insofar that you accept performance is bad anyway compared to the desktop platforms, Skylake-SP is not a bad choice - peak performance will be about 20% worse than Milan, but the monolithic dies help idle power and you get x16 GPU, x16 nvme, and x8 HBA all at full speed
I think I said the RAM usage from the DBs would be low, but if I am training a LLM or other large model, the RAM usage could balloon. Plus there is a chance the RAM usage from in-memory DBs might spike as well, depending on what I am working on.

Interesting about the Skylake-SP, but I the EPYC and the H12SSL have already shipped, so no going back there :)

CreoleLakerFan

Oct 29, 2013
Sometimes the boards say that if the dimm\capacity wasn't available when the board was tested with various memory and they do in fact work.

The 7900 IMO is the "sweet spot" for price\performance in that series as well as power usage.

What boards are you considering currently, and which RAM?
I have 7900x in my current lab servers, because oddly enough they were cheaper than 7900. I have them in ECO mode so they fit into the 65W power profile. Lowered the vcore a bit and they idle at 63 in a 2U with a Noctua 65mm cooler.

All of that to say a 7900x will also fit the bill

Reactions: T_Minus

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
I have 7900x in my current lab servers, because oddly enough they were cheaper than 7900. I have them in ECO mode so they fit into the 65W power profile. Lowered the vcore a bit and they idle at 63 in a 2U with a Noctua 65mm cooler.

All of that to say a 7900x will also fit the bill
yeah, i've been following the 2 and that was odd, i've seen it dip below now which is nice.

I'll consider doing what you did though, low power mode :D if I find a 7900x !

Reactions: CreoleLakerFan

jkimmerling

Apr 28, 2024
I’m here waiting on the final piece, the darn motherboard, to come in the mail. My lack of patience is killing me lol

Reactions: T_Minus