Netatalk 3.1 and Spotlight [Napp-it]

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

nle

Oct 24, 2012
I see that Napp-it has updated to netatalk 3.1.

Anyone know if the spotlight-feature is supported on OmniOS?

(afaik spotlight is one if the big features of 3.1 – and would be great.)

nle

Oct 24, 2012
Any update on this feature?

I see that the latest netatalk is 3.1.6, while the repo currently has 3.1.3. I also see that the documentation of the spotlight feature has been updated quite a bit since last time.

Thanks.

nle

Oct 24, 2012
Thanks, I was actually looking at the wrong repo.

But it still looks like it is still not compiled with spotlight support. I'll see if I'm able to ask the mailing list.

nle

Oct 24, 2012
I actually ended up emailing him using the contact details on the repo, and got a very fast reply.

He's saying he has tried it earlier, but that it is not an easy task because the spotlight feature uses the Gnome Tracker Project for indexing, and that is deeply tied to Linux and uses some first class Linux libraries.

According to Steffen, it is not impossible, but requires a lot of work. Something that might not be justified since Apple has changed over to Samba4 and main netatalk developers closed their company to work on samba.

So I guess the way to go is to switch over from AFP to Samba4, but as far as I can tell, Samba4 uses the same Gnome Tracker Project to index files – so it could be I'm out of luck. I don't think I am "advanced enough" to figure out how to get that working.

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
@gea Do you consider adding Samba4 support directly in Napp-It?
In the end, if Illumos/OmniOS are not adding the SMB 2+ enhancements available from Nexenta a move to SAMBA4 will be unavoidable.

I would avoid whenever possible because
- Solaris/OmniOS CIFS is much easier to handle and manage and fully integrated in ZFS filesystems
- Superiour integration of Windows ACL and Windows AD-SIDs as ZFS file attributes, previous versions etc
- Only OSX has performance problems with SMB1

At the moment, I hope that OmniOS or one of the other Illumos based distributions or Oracle add SMB2+integration. If you are a commercial OmniOS customers with paid support, request SMB2 support (or buy support to request this). This may be the fastest option to get it included in the free Illumos versions outside NexentaStor.

Reactions: nle