Need help on FC attached SAS/SATA/SSD JBOD

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

cryptosig

Mar 13, 2021
I'm looking for a disk shelf enclosure that provides JBOD access to disks over 8GB FC. I have a StorageWorks M5314C, that does what I want, but it doesn't use sas/sata/ssd connectors. It's also only a 4gbFC connection, and I would like 8gbFC. Anyone know of one?

bwahaha

Jun 9, 2023
Have you looked into fc to sas interposers? seems like it might be what you need. Don't know about compatibility with drives and that enclosure.

cryptosig

Mar 13, 2021
Have you looked into fc to sas interposers? seems like it might be what you need. Don't know about compatibility with drives and that enclosure.
I have and they didn't work for the shelf since they didn't fit, and this is besides the fact that the shelf is only 4gbfc, which is pretty slow

jabuzzard

Mar 22, 2021
i dont think a 8GB FC shelf exists. pretty sure they stopped at 4GB
I am going to agree. At this point in time they changed over to using SAS JBOD's on FC arrays. In no small part because they stopped making FC drives and they all became SAS drives instead of the mix of FC drives and SATA drives with interposer boards. This was about the time when nearline SAS drives became available too. I imagine this is all interlinked.

cryptosig

Mar 13, 2021
I am going to agree. At this point in time they changed over to using SAS JBOD's on FC arrays. In no small part because they stopped making FC drives and they all became SAS drives instead of the mix of FC drives and SATA drives with interposer boards. This was about the time when nearline SAS drives became available too. I imagine this is all interlinked.
darn, there goes my hopes of delivering drives directly to 3 ZFS nodes over FC from a drive shelf. I guess it might still be possible, if I were to roll my own "disk shelf" using something like SCST to deliver the drives directly without RAID being involved.