Need guidance on how to use ILO

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

webuser1200

Oct 6, 2013
I've never used ILO before so some of my questions might sound stupid...

1. Can I view ILO over the VGA (just like bios) and if so what keystroke do I have to press to get to it?
2. If not, and it can only be gotten through a management interface. I have three network slots on the back of the machine. em0, em1 and a management interface.

I'm trying to debug what is causing a blinking red light on my server.

Bibble

Jul 28, 2016
iLO is a remote management interface. If you can work out what the IP address is (may be set to pull from DHCP), it will usually run a bunch on things, including a web server on that port.

That will give you access to a range of diagnostic information, and a remote console (equivalent to a VGA, keyboard and mouse over th eIP connection), depending on version and licensing status.

With regards to the actual question, is the light labelled, or near to a particular component, or defined in the server's documentation?

What device are you actually running?

cesmith9999

Mar 26, 2013
iLO also has a license to worry about.

basic is free.

Advanced (VGA KVM and ISO mount) require an additional license.

Chris

wildchild

Feb 4, 2014
But there are things to be found on the internet.. for a homelab i wouldnt purchase lics

andrewbedia

Jan 11, 2013
There's a Russian forum that has keys. I'm probably not supposed to tell you that, but whatever. iLO licenses are bullshit.