My Dual Platinum 8160 ran into some problems...

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

TheUnknownThing

Aug 4, 2021
I also post this in "DIY Server and Workstation Builds" forum and I think this is a better idea to post again in this forum to ask for help.
Motherboard: Supermicro X11DAi-N
Processor: Intel Xeon Platinum 8160(ES) QL1K *2
RAM: Samsung RECC 8G*6 (3 per processor)
PSU: Antec NE850 (Dual 8pin connected to the Motherboard)
CPU Cooler: CoolServer 2U Cooler

A9I_5GG%`G[MYSYZVNN9KH7.png

When I finish building this, I was expecting a good performance. The CPU SHOULD boost up to 2.2GHz (Though the QS version of the CPU can boost up to 2.5GHz under AVX2.0 Load). But the task manager and the HWINFO shows that the CPU could only boost up to 1.8GHz under AVX2.0 Load. This is weird and because of this I nearly lost 20% of the performance. (I use AIDA64 to test if my cooling works properly, and it seems that the CPU won't get over 65℃ under heavy load)

I take some time to do the bios tweaking but it just doesn't work. Any guys who can help me fix this problem? Are there any possibilities that the 3-channel RAM cause this problem?

P.S. Intel XTU DOESN'T work either. The boost time config and the PL1/PL2 setting don't effect the CPU AT ALL.
And if you guys know how to unlock power-limit on these Skylake CPUs(not haswell) by tweaking BIOS settings, please tell me and I really hope to get your support around. :)

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
strange, CPU-Z shows a base clock 1200 Mhz. should be 1800 Mhz
please give us a HWinfo screenshot like this
HWinfo64_cpu0a.pngCPU

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
Are there any possibilities that the 3-channel RAM cause this problem?
this i asymetrical and never recommended. use 2 DIMMs in A1 and D1.

P.S. Intel XTU DOESN'T work either.
sure. the BIOS locks the conf. register. but i don't think that is the problem here.
use CPU-Z stress cpu to test boost frequency and check with HWinfo summary the core clocks.

TheUnknownThing

Aug 4, 2021
this i asymetrical and never recommended. use 2 DIMMs in A1 and D1.

sure. the BIOS locks the conf. register. but i don't think that is the problem here.
use CPU-Z stress cpu to test boost frequency and check with HWinfo summary the core clocks.
Thank you for your reply! I reset the BIOS to the original optimized settings and I changed some settings and now it can run normally without any issue boosting to 2.2GHz (I didn't remember which setting I changed) , but I still want to get some free performance boost by unlocking the PL1/PL2 and boost time. Does that can be done by simply modifying the BIOS?

And, the memory issue, does the 4-channel memory balanced or not? It's always better to add memory than take it down:p. I've already inserted 6*8G of RAM and I wonder if adding another 16G to both the CPU to become 4-channel memory is OK? Therefore it will be 8+8+8+16Gigs of RAM installed on both CPU. As the 16Gig has a better price than two 8Gigs.

Attachments

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
but I still want to get some free performance boost by unlocking the PL1/PL2 and boost time. Does that can be done by simply modifying the BIOS?
your PL1 is 145W, 1 second:
if your CPU keeps the 2200Mhz longer than 1 seconds, the boost time is still extended.