My All-In-One Home Build

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Steve Easley

Jan 18, 2016
Brand knew here after lurking for awhile. Lots of great info in this site.

So I have been wanting to build an all-in-one home virtualization/NAS server for awhile. I am a software engineer by trade, and wanted something to host test VMs and containers, run Windows, as well as for play with Plex, etc.

My main goal is not creating anything too complex, but not so mindless its no fun :). Also relatively cheap, I dont need a ton of redundancy/fault tolerance. So here is what I just ordered. I am hoping I did not go too bleeding edge here (with the newer MB/CPU)
My goal is to install ESXi on the single SSD, then pass the LSI HBA though to a VM install of either OpenVaultMedia or napp-it, which will be installed onto the SSD also. Then I will use OVM/napp-it to create a mirror of the 2 WD HDs to be shared via NFS back to ESXi. Using OVM/napp-it will enable me to create AFP/SMB2 shares for the computers on the rest of my network as well.

I chose the LSI 9207-8i primarily due to my understanding that it has no built in RAID, and comes in IT mode by default. Which will keep me from having to bother with flashing it. I hope.

I realize I have a big SPOF with the single SSD, but figured for home use, its relatively easy enough to reinstall a copy of OVM/napp-it from a backup. If I did want to mirror another SSD for fault tolerance, I would need to do some sort of self contained RAID enclosure like the RAIDONs.

Any thoughts, warnings, or tips about this setup?

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
The 850 Pro 256gb is an awesome drive but for ESIX & OMV or Napp-IT it's insanely over kill and for that $$ you could have gotten 2x cheaper SSD with power-loss protection and never noticed it.

Other than that sounds like an awesome build :)

Reactions: Chuntzu

Steve Easley

Jan 18, 2016
Yep, great point about the 256GB being overkill. My thinking was I could put my permanent VMs on it as well, and save the NFS/HHDs for network usable storage. Again I know its a huge SPOF, but I really only care about the data on the HHDs in the long term (in-other-words, I ran out of money for this phase heh).

cw823

Jan 14, 2014
I have a ZFS AIO and run two virtualized Plex (ubuntu OS) servers, lmk if you have any issues or need any assistance.