MS-01 Drive Setup - Proxmox - best practice advice wanted

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Jarery

Mar 7, 2024
I currently have a NAS based on a supermicro board with Xeon CPU E3-1230 running Truenas Scale that runs a single Ubunto VM that then runs Docker with 32 docker containers, all on the single Truenas server.

I have purchased a MS-01 and wish to return my Truenas server to just a NAS for file storage (other than a tailscale app) , and move all VM's and docker apps off of truenas and onto the new MS-01, which will also be my first adventure into Proxmox.

goal :
- proxmos OS with approx 6 Ubuntu VM's & 1 windows (home server dockers, media server dockers , adblock/DNS server, Windows VM ) maybe a few more in future
- Storage of media to remain on Truenas scale attached to new proxmox server.

My questions are :
1) with 3 M.2 slots and my existing Truenas Scale NAS (attached via SPF+) whats a best practices setup of the 3 M.2 Drives ?

- with 1 Gen 4 with 2 Gen 3. Do i raid1 the 2 gen3 and use for VM's ? What do i use the single Gen4 for ?
- do i do similar to my Truenas system and run the OS from mirrored SSd's attached to the USB ports? or do i use one of the M.2 Drives for OS?
- where do i put the OS
- where do i put the VM storage
- Where do i put docker app config type data
- I'm new to proxmox and MS-01 so trying to figure out best plan to assign drives.

- do i order all 3M.2 drives as gen 3 ?
- do i order 1 Gen 4 and 2 gen 3 ? if yes how to configure.

All advice welcome !