mkdir in .zfs/snapshot creates a snapshot?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

rtomanek

Apr 28, 2012
Hi,

this post http://www.edplese.com/blog/2009/11/18/windows-backups-to-zfs/ seems to imply that executing mkdir in the .zfs/snapshot dir results in creating a snapshot. This sounds like a great piece of functionality, however it doesn't seem to be working for me -- I am getting access denied. What am I missing here?

One more extra question: is there any problem with using space characters in snapshot names, for napp-it, SMB or any other usual services? I just created a snapshot like this by hand from the shell and it seems to behave OK. On the other hand napp-it substitutes spaces with underscores... Is there any specific reason for that?

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
i would not expect that mkdir in .zfs will work, use the regular zfs commands

about spaces in snap or dataset names: no problem unless you do not use them in scripts where a space divide between options.
so it is suggested to avoid them to not break automated functionality (a lot of scripts do not care about spaces in names).