Minisforum MS-01 PCIe Card and RAM Compatibility Thread

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

adman_c

Feb 14, 2016
Chicago
Has anyone setup a external sas/sata storage? I want to do raid array but not sure what will work.
Check the initial STH review. I'm pretty sure one of the PCIE cards that Patrick tested was an external SATA card from a QNAP SATA JBOD. And at least one LSI external SAS HBA has been confirmed to work as well.

Reactions: thekobk

arsads

Sep 25, 2019
Has anyone setup a external sas/sata storage? I want to do raid array but not sure what will work.
I have mine connected to a KTN-STL3 via a LSI 9207-8e (didn't need a faster card). Doing fine so far, running TrueNAS Core in a VM on proxmox with the HBA passed through. Performance seems to be what I would expect with the spinning disks.

Reactions: thekobk

Olsenius

Aug 8, 2023
I'm planning to get a Samsung 990 pro 4TB for my ms-01 and I'm struggling to decide if I should buy the one with a heat sink or not. The one with a heat sink is a bit cheaper and could help with the heat, but will it fit? Does anyone know? :)

adman_c

Feb 14, 2016
Chicago
I'm planning to get a Samsung 990 pro 4TB for my ms-01 and I'm struggling to decide if I should buy the one with a heat sink or not. The one with a heat sink is a bit cheaper and could help with the heat, but will it fit? Does anyone know? :)
If you can find out how tall the heatsink is, the U.2/NVME slot can fit a U.2 drive up to 7mm thick, plus about ~1mm for the adapter. So you could potentially fit something up to about 8mm total thickness. Maybe? Roll the dice and report back, for science!

Volex

Mar 30, 2017
I'm using an Icybox IB-564SSK Backplane connected to an ASMedia SATA card without a bracket and running the sata cables through the bracket slot, with the Icybox powered by an ATX PSU. I'll admit it's not a looker but it works well, running 4x 18TB for Unraid.

Olsenius

Aug 8, 2023
If you can find out how tall the heatsink is, the U.2/NVME slot can fit a U.2 drive up to 7mm thick, plus about ~1mm for the adapter. So you could potentially fit something up to about 8mm total thickness. Maybe? Roll the dice and report back, for science!
Thanks for the info! The specs I found said 8.8mm. Ordered the non heat sink version.

garbia

Feb 16, 2024
I just got my MS-01 Yesterday, I do have one 990Pro no heatsink and one WD BLACK 2TB SN850P for PS5 Consoles (was cheaper)with a big heatsink .
One thing that is important is that only one slot supports 7000mb/s the second supports 3500 and the third (which is the one with less clearence)supports I believe 1000!
So you want your SSD on the faster slot which has tons of space.
I will setup mine in the weekend if my crucial 96 arrive today.

I need to figure out if I can put the one of the SSD on the PCIe slot with an adapter, which should allow fulls speed but I read something about bifurcation etc etc, maybe someone can shed a light in this thread!

garbia

Feb 16, 2024
I finally received mine ! ouf !

I starting to play with Proxmox and Nvme Passthrough. All drives are recognized (even the drive with A+E Key adapter, but limited to 900MB)
Whats the name of the adapter you put in place of the wifi card?, and how did it go the passthrough? its a shame only one slot get full speed, I may try to put the second nvme on a pcie adapter to get full speed

Sebo

Jan 14, 2024
Has anyone noticed any crashes on Proxmox when turning off Windows VM which has PCIe/USB device passed to it? I had couple cases where MS-01 would crash and turn off when I shutdown Windows guest which had PCIe or USB device passed to it.

garbia

Feb 16, 2024
Has anyone noticed any crashes on Proxmox when turning off Windows VM which has PCIe/USB device passed to it? I had couple cases where MS-01 would crash and turn off when I shutdown Windows guest which had PCIe or USB device passed to it.
This sounds like a common issue not only for the MS-01, probably the driver used for the PCIe or USB device does not revert to its original state after the VM is shut down

Reactions: Sebo

Finlike3355

Mar 5, 2024
I would avoid U.2 unless you need the larger capacity. They run hot and require more power draw. I opted for Samsung PM983a 1.88TB NVMe 22110 drives. Got them brand new on eBay for $75 each. Bought 6 (two for each nodes). They're running nice and cool. Both staying at ~52C with just onboard fan cooling them. I haven't gotten any overheating or thermal issues. All 3 of my nodes are inside 19" rack not the best airflows but they're fine.
So YOU'RE the one who bought them out from under me! I was looking at a listing with 6 or 7 available and by the time I got home from work they were gone! Grr... :)

Alan242

Feb 24, 2018
I received a ms-01 i5-12600H a couple of days ago. It came with 2x16 GB Crucial DDR5-5600 CT16G56C46S5.M8G1. The BIOS has it clocked at 4800 (cpu limit).

I've also put a NICGIGA 4 port 2.5Gbe card in the PCIe slot. It is recognized OK. However, the top most Ethernet port is blocked by the plastic of the case face plate. To use that port, I'll either have to run it with the plate off or get the snips and dremel out to cut the plastic away.