miniPC for pfSense

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Octopuss

Jun 30, 2019
Czech republic
I'm looking for a small fanless low power box to run pfSense off.
I don't have any special needs and am connected through 200/100Mbit wifi. The only out of the ordinary thing is a torrent seedbox.
I guess it doesn't matter from technical point of view, but since I'm buying a new thing, I'd prefer something that doesn't have a CPU from a decade ago.
Whatever I'll buy has to be available in the EU, or it has to be proven unit from Aliexpress.
I only need two RJ45 ports, but it seems like dual port devices are really basic and low performance. I don't have any plans for doing weird stuff with the network, but some headroom is nice to have.
My limit is €300.
Right now I'm going through Protectli's offerings.
Any tips are welcome.

I don't mind buying second hand stuff if the specs and price are right.
Thanks.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
I have a Protectli device I purchased in 2016. It's been running pfsense since 2016 24\7 non-stop, and been run through dozens of power outages\surges, as well as on generator power for 100hs of hours... 0 issues. BUT, I run it through a battery backup unit the entire time too.

I paid around $280 USD for it ready to go, pricing looks similar on amazon but newer, and 2.5Gig !! :)

louie1961

May 15, 2023
By the way, you really don't need much more than 4 GB of memory and 64 GB of storage in order to run pfSense, especially given the way you described your environment. You may be able to save money by buying a "barebones" unit (i.e., without memory and storage) and purchasing the memory and storage elsewhere.

Reactions: Octopuss

Mike9474593

Aug 5, 2022
CWWK X86-P5 might be an option for a 2 port unit. But the case is quite small it can get hot. I somehow won the silicon lottery, mine is quite cool under no load. But still, after 30min full load the case gets quite hot but the unit is still very stable. Others did have less luck. Check the n100 thread for more info.
I'm running it as a linux thinkering box. If you buy it, get it as a barebone and buy your own RAM (using crucial DDR5 here) and a low power SSD.

Octopuss

Jun 30, 2019
Czech republic
By the way, you really don't need much more than 4 GB of memory and 64 GB of storage in order to run pfSense, especially given the way you described your environment. You may be able to save money by buying a "barebones" unit (i.e., without memory and storage) and purchasing the memory and storage elsewhere.
That's exactly what I want to do!
Most of these boxes come with builtin flash storage already, and pfSense doesn't need much to begin with. I might just buy the smallest SSD I can find to redirect logs there or something.

Octopuss

Jun 30, 2019
Czech republic
CWWK X86-P5 might be an option for a 2 port unit. But the case is quite small it can get hot. I somehow won the silicon lottery, mine is quite cool under no load. But still, after 30min full load the case gets quite hot but the unit is still very stable. Others did have less luck. Check the n100 thread for more info.
I'm running it as a linux thinkering box. If you buy it, get it as a barebone and buy your own RAM (using crucial DDR5 here) and a low power SSD.
Which thread? There are several.

louie1961

May 15, 2023
If you go fanless, get the 4 port box. You will want the extra cooling the larger case provides. I would also consider a 2 port NUC style box, especially if it has a fan.

Reactions: blunden

louie1961

May 15, 2023
That looks similar to the one I have, but not exactly the same. I'd probably say its OK

louie1961

May 15, 2023
look at the pics of the boards, and make sure it has the connections and sockets you want. M.2 and the like. Mine has DDR5 memory if that is important to you.

Octopuss

Jun 30, 2019
Czech republic
I am so bad at choosing from multiple products, lol.
But at least I know I want anything with N100. Sure I could be happy with anything with the old Celerons, but the bang for the buck on N100 systems is just huge.