Mikrotik CRS310-1G-5S-4S+ 1G SFP ports dying one by one

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

EBRAddict

Jun 16, 2023
Anyone had this happen (and found a solution?)

I have a 2-month old Mikrotik CRS310-1G-5S-4S+ (4x 10GB SFP+, 5x 1GB SFP).

One by one, the 1G SFP interfaces have stopped negotiating. At first I thought it was me but the last one stopped responding after a reboot.

- Link lights dead, admin portal shows SFP modules are present but no link
- Connected devices show link not active (Linux, Windows, TrendNet switch, Netgear switch, Intel NIC, Realtek NIC) using 1G SFP 1000Base-T modules
- Connected devices work fine on a different router (RJ-45 1GB)
- Transceivers which used to work OK last week, don't work now (HiFiber, FS, Avago -- all RJ-45 to 1GB SFP (some are multi-rate))
- RouterOS Firmware tried 7.6 and 7.11 (latest)
- First port died last week, then Friday then Sunday was the last time any 1G port worked.
- Blink does not work

My hypothesis is the 1G controller chip or its physical circuitry is defective.

RTM

Jan 26, 2014
I don't think it would make much difference, but have you upgraded routerboot when you upgraded the OS?
If not, then I suggest you do so, as they do suggest updating it when updating firmware (/system/routerboard/upgrade)

Other than that, have you checked the system's log to see if it can tell you what the problem is?

EBRAddict

Jun 16, 2023
I upgraded routerboot. The logs don't say much, and nothing about the connectivity on those ports. I was able to force the LED to blink through a system menu page. I emailed Mikrotik support and the Amazon seller but I doubt they'll respond. If I got another one of these I'd pay up for the 3 year Amazon warranty... I may open it up and look at it with a thermal camera & check the power pins on the chips.

EBRAddict

Jun 16, 2023
Update on this router: I bought a real Mikrotik 10GB S+RJ10 transceiver from a Mikrotik partner ($30 USD ea) and it worked fine. I bought several more and they all work fine.

The other transceivers--which used to work in the Mikrotik but do not anymrore--still work fine in a Hasivo router and a Ruckus router.

I'm not sure what's happened, I don't have time to apply an older firmware and see if they come back to life.

blunden

Nov 29, 2019
Update on this router: I bought a real Mikrotik 10GB S+RJ10 transceiver from a Mikrotik partner ($30 USD ea) and it worked fine. I bought several more and they all work fine.

The other transceivers--which used to work in the Mikrotik but do not anymrore--still work fine in a Hasivo router and a Ruckus router.

I'm not sure what's happened, I don't have time to apply an older firmware and see if they come back to life.
So all SFP slots on the switch work fine now? Good thing it wasn't a hardware failure. :)